Students save cash making gifts

The countdown has begun — only two weeks left for last-minute Christmas shoppers to brave the crowds, snag some deals, wrap the gifts and put them under the tree.

Whether it is a quick trip to the mall or a whole-day endeavor, the shopping process can seem a bit daunting and, as freshman Brad Love points out, is not exactly the most fun thing to do.

“If there’s one thing in the world that I really don’t look forward to, it’d have to be shopping, especially around Christmastime,” he said. “What fun is there in an over-crowded store, hour-long lines and spending a lot of money? Nothing.”

Diana Baumann also said she feels the same way as Love.

“In general, Christmas shopping is a total hassle,” she said.

For those who also see shopping more as a nuisance than as an enjoyable excursion, checking out online websites can serve as the best alternative.

According to the National Retail Foundation and Forrester Research, online shopping drew in about $308 from 20 million individual households last year, and has become an increasingly popular shopping alternative over the past years.

With such a broad expanse of people using the Internet, shoppers must also be weary of maintaining their security.

Experts suggest that shoppers always look into a company’s privacy statement to ensure the website’s security; also, shoppers should make all purchases with a credit card, and before doing so, check to make sure that the company has a valid credit-card-security/encryption system.

“When I first shopped online last year, I wasn’t too sure about the whole credit-card thing, but it worked out well, and I’m planning on doing some more buying like that,” Meg Bradshaw said.

For those who choose to pass on visiting the e-mall, experts say deciding ahead of time what to purchase can save a lot of time and spare the hassles.

“This year, it’s all about the Wisconsin gear for the family,” Baumann said.

No matter how they shop, students say their bank accounts can easily dry up during the holiday season.

“I’m cheap! I need to make some presents for friends, because, as a college student, I don’t really have the funds to buy gifts for both my family and friends,” Natalie Hinck said.

In order to save a bit of money, Hinck recently took up crocheting and is currently making several scarves for friends.

“I guess that it’s kind of cool to know that instead of just going to a mall and picking something up, you actually put effort into the gift. It makes things more special,” she added.

As Baumann pointed out, splitting the costs of gifts with siblings can be an easy way to save some cash.

“Family is going to love whatever you get them, so it doesn’t matter if it’s not big or expensive,” she noted.

For Bradshaw, though, Christmas shopping isn’t about the drained funds or the packed stores.

“When I pick things up, I try not to think about the money, but more about the great times I’ll be having with my friends and family,” she said. “Shopping gets me really excited for the whole Christmas season in general.”