Downtown business owner dismayed by retail selection

Through the yeas, downtown Madison has featured significant shifts in the venues offered to citizens and the types of stores that do business.

The Capitol Square area of downtown was once a large retail community, housing 108 retailers in 1940.

Now, many of the new shops near the state’s Capitol are food venues or hair salons.

In November of 2002, the Downtown Madison District News reported 11 new retail businesses moving into the area. Of these 11 shops, three were restaurants, one was a salon, two were specialty food shops and the rest were specialty stores that sell specific items, such as shoes.

One local jewelry owner John Parker Hendrickson, Jr., said he has noticed that over the past 60 years only two of the original 108 retail stores still exist around the capital. Hendrickson’s jewelry store is one of those original shops; he is the fourth-generation owner of E. W. Parker’s, Inc.

E.W. Parker’s has been in the retail business for 143 years. Hendrickson noted he would like to see more retail shops in downtown.

“The people in charge of Downtown Madison, Inc. and the Business Improvement District are trying to pass off restaurants, bars and hair salons as retail stores,” said Hendrickson.

He said that a retail store is a place that sells a product, such as clothing or toys.

With many new condominiums and penthouses opening downtown, Hendrickson said he believes if there were more retailers around the Capitol there would be more business in all of the shops, especially if owners would refer customers to another store when they don’t have a product in stock.

Due to the lack of awareness about the stores on Capitol Square, Hendrickson is starting a petition to try to spread the word about the need for retail shops.

Hendrickson expressed his dismay with the fact that bars and restaurants are being called retail stores. He said he agrees all types of businesses are needed but they should not all be classified as retail, since this gives a false image of what types of venues are located downtown.

Ald. Tom Powell, District 5, said he agrees downtown Madison has changed dramatically over the years.

He described downtown Madison in the late 1980s as a sad place with lots of empty spaces and boarded-up windows. Since then there has been an increase in the number of restaurants and stores in the area.

Powell noted that though more businesses are located downtown these days, there are also more chain stores as opposed to locally owned shops.

Many local owners have left their downtown establishments due to raises in rent or have moved to the two malls on the east and west sides of town.

Powell also said there is a considerably more stable economic environment downtown.

“It is a much more diverse area, with retirees, middle-aged people and students all living in condos or apartments downtown,” Powell said.

The diversity and economic stability made Powell and Hendrickson wonder why there are not more retail stores in the area.

Powell said he believes people move downtown in order to have a more pedestrian lifestyle. He pointed out there are only two grocery stores amidst a plethora of restaurants. Powell suggested more retailers would help citizens realize the pedestrian lifestyle.

Powell also mentioned his belief that State Street and the downtown area marketed less to those who live there and more to those who come and visit in order to spend money.

“Downtown is changing to be marketed toward the suburbanites and not the students. It used to be much more diverse and funky, but now there are many chain stores,” said Powell.

He suggested the number of chain stores will only increase, and the locally owned businesses will be forced to leave.

“It is two warring ideologies — between more chain stores and more local stores. I have no idea which will win out, but my guess [is] we will probably see more chain stores,” Powell said.