Menorah lighting held at Chadbourne Hall

On Monday night, a small group of students gathered in the main lounge of Chadbourne Hall for a menorah-lighting ceremony, a part of Hillel’s efforts at outreach on campus. Matt Lowe, a Jewish Campus Student Community Fellow from Hillel, and Jodie Gordon visited the dormitory to celebrate the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.

A number of students in attendance were not of the Jewish faith, but found the ceremony to be an interesting learning experience.

Chadbourne resident Dorise Gruber highlighted the importance of the outreach effort before the ceremony.

“My roommate didn’t know what a menorah was or a dreidel or anything related [to Hanukkah],” said Gruber.

The ceremony centered on the lighting of candles on the menorah and the singing of two prayers in Hebrew. Gordon explained the significance of the prayers to those gathered.

“In one of them, we are saying ‘Thank you, God, for giving us light,'” Gordon said. She and Lowe went on to explain the significance of Hanukkah.

Hanukkah commemorates a time when the temple in Jerusalem was being rededicated by the Maccabees in 165 B.C., and only enough oil was on hand to light the candles for one night, Gordon and Lowe explained. The oil lasted for eight nights, seen as a miracle. The modern celebration of eight days stands for the eight nights of light. It has other meanings as well, Lowe said.

“[Hanukkah] happened after we, the Jewish people, defeated the Romans to gain religious freedom,” Lowe said. Gordon said the holiday, known also as the Festival of Lights, signifies victory and solidarity for the Jewish people.

Several students in attendance who were not of the Jewish faith cited acquaintances as their motivation to come to the ceremony.

“We’re supporting our housefellow,” said Jessica Zowghi, a Chadbourne resident who came with her friends. Freshman Pat Loux said he came to support his friend Eli, who is Jewish, and also because he was interested.

Those present for the ceremony also found out about various aspects of the Hanukkah tradition.

Spinning the dreidel, a type of top, was explained as signifying a miracle, by Gordon.

Gelt, a tradition that involves handing out coins as a gift, was alive and well at the ceremony, although Hillel members, with a modern twist, handed out chocolate coins to students. Lowe also clarified the name of what most people know only as a menorah.

“The menorah used at Hanukkah is known specifically as Hanukiyah,” Lowe said. “It has eight candles and a leader candle to light the others called a shamash.”

Regular menorahs have seven candles, one for each day of the week. They are used year-round.

Joel Bennett, a Chadbourne student who helped to organize the ceremony, noted the design of the original menorah in the temple: a holder for six candles with one distinct candle in the middle.

As a part of the continuing Festival of Lights celebration, Hillel will host a “Latkepalooza” event for students Wednesday featuring treats from the age-old Hanukkah tradition.