UW-Stout student accused of building pipe bombs

Less than a year after a University of Wisconsin-Stout student was charged with planting pipe bombs in mailboxes, a second UW-Stout student faces criminal charges related to the devices. The 19-year-old student was charged Monday with possessing explosives after being found with 11 pipe bombs in his dorm room.

“The student claims he was building these pipe bombs to blow up pumpkins,” said John Enger, executive director of university relations at UW-Stout to the Associated Press.

Earlier this year, 21-year-old Luke Helder allegedly planted 18 pipe bombs and letters filled with anti-government messages in mailboxes in five states. The cities where Helder placed the bombs would create a smiley face when connected and thus earned him the nickname “the smiley-face bomber.”

The pipe bombs injured four letter carriers and two residents. He is currently awaiting trail in Iowa on two federal felonies.

Toward the end of Helder’s run from the authorities, he sent a letter to the Badger Herald entitled “Explosions! A Bit of Evidence for You!” The letter detailed Helder’s philosophies on life and death.

“To ‘live’ (avoid death) in this society you are forced to conform/slave away,” Helder said in his letter. “I’m here to help you realize/understand that you will live no matter what! It is up to you people to open your hearts and minds. There is no such thing as death.”

He also stressed escaping from governmental control.

“If the government controls what you want to do, they control what you can do,” he said.

Enger said the university is taking immediate action to suspend the student from Wigen Hall, the dormitory in which the student resided.

“He will not be allowed back on campus without a police escort,” Enger said.