Developer discusses high-rise with Bassett residents

Madison developer Todd McGrath met with residents in the Bassett neighborhood Wednesday to discuss concerns about a proposal to develop a mid-rise residential building in their area.

The proposed site for development is on the corner of West Wilson and South Broom streets and would include 60-75 units and underground parking on a 1.2-acre site. McGrath has not submitted a design for approval, but models of the building include as many as 13 stories. Its construction would involve the demolition of five buildings already under the ownership of McGrath Associates.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he is optimistic that McGrath Associates has the potential to design a plan that would preserve the historical characteristic of the area, but he says he realizes there will be negative feedback from residents because of the height of the proposed building.

“Todd McGrath has an excellent track record of developing really excellent residential projects downtown,” Verveer said. “With that said, there still is going to be tremendous concern about the height and mass of this building.”

The mid-rise residential building is part of the city of Madison’s plan to improve the appearance of the Bassett neighborhood and increase residency. McGrath Associates has already begun development on the block adjacent to the proposed site. McGrath hopes a new residential building will increase the character of the neighborhood.

“We’ve seen two blocks that are companions,” McGrath said. “I think together this should really enhance gateway into the city. At the same time, there is an opportunity to enhance the skyline.”

Residents and property owners in the Bassett neighborhood expressed concerns about a possible increase of the already dense traffic in the neighborhood, and the possibility that a mid-rise building could change the historic character of the block. Some residents said they feel the size of a mid-rise building could actually hinder an increase in residential development.

“If there is the threat of a very tall building overshadowing a home that somebody buys and puts a lot into, I think that would discourage people from buying houses to rehab. So my concern is the height of the building in relation to the neighborhood,” said one Bassett neighborhood property owner.

The neighborhood meeting was the first in a series of discussions McGrath will use to develop a plan that appeals to Bassett neighborhood residents. McGrath says his next step is to hold an information session at a public meeting of the Madison Urban Design Commission, where he will ask for further input in the design. His associates say they are confident McGrath will design a plan that will eventually be approved by the City Council.

“He’s in the process of acquiring property in terms of rehabbing the property, improving the overall character of the property and selectively filling property where the opportunity presents itself to add more ownership to this area to collectively improve the Bassett neighborhood,” said Tim Anderson, principal of Anderson and Associates.