State laws aimed at fighting corruption tops country

Despite five state legislators being charged with a combined 42 felonies, a Milwaukee County pension scandal over greatly improved benefits leading to recall drives against the county executive and county board members, and a Milwaukee mayor settling out of court on sexual harassment charges, Wisconsin tops the country in laws aimed at fighting corruption.

A recent study by the Better Government Association ranked Wisconsin No. 1 in its Integrity Index. The index is a “measure of the relative strength of existing laws that promote integrity in each of the fifty states.”

“I know that other legislators in other states are always amazed at how limited our legislators are in taking things of value,” said Susan Paddock, a professor of governmental affairs at the University of Wisconsin. “In other states, for example, it would not be illegal for a legislator to go out to lunch with a lobbyist and have that paid for. In this state, it is illegal.”

The index was compiled by studying each state’s Freedom of Information Act and other laws concerning campaign finance, conflicts of interest, gifts and whistle-blower protection.

Wisconsin ranked second in the gifts category, fourth in campaign finance, sixth in conflict of interest, 17th in whistle-blower protection, and 23rd in the Freedom of Information Act category.

Once a national model for squeaky-clean government, some would say Wisconsin politics has taken a turn for the worst. A rash of scandals at the state and local level has dominated newspaper headlines in the state and has appeared in national newspapers like the Washington Post and the New York Times.

“Now, one could wonder how we came out on top in the rash of these recent scandals,” Paddock said. “The interesting thing is that the people being charged, not one of them profited personally. No money went into their pockets. They profited politically in that they allegedly received campaign funds. In that respect, we still have a clean slate despite all the headlines.”

Rounding out the Top 10 in the rankings were Rhode Island, Kentucky, Hawaii, California, Nebraska, South Carolina, West Virginia, Texas and Maryland.

Minnesota was 17th and Iowa ranked 43rd.

The Better Government Association started the index when determining the Illinois Freedom of Information Act was weaker than what it should be. The group decided to test Illinois’ Freedom of Information Act against the other 49 states. The study grew to encompass the four remaining tests. The BGA index ranks Illinois 41st.

Terrance Norton, BGA’s executive director, said the study was formed out of the “virtually nonexistent laws” concerning ethics and integrity in Illinois government. Ultimately, the group simply sought to see how Illinois law stacked up versus those of other states.

Paddock said the recent rash of scandal throughout the state is a recent event in Wisconsin’s political history.

“We have a long-time history, nationally, as being a leader in good government,” Paddock said. “I was on a panel for state legislator about 10 years ago, and the legislators of other states were just amazed at the stringency of our laws.”

Paddock added, “Last year, the state ethics board received a national award for the work it has done.”