Dane County Farmer’s Market moves indoors

For the first time in its 30-year history, the Dane County Farmer’s Market began to run year-round Saturday, with the addition of its Winter Market at the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center.

The Winter Market hosts 50 venders, far fewer than the 175 who congregate around the Capitol Square in the warmer months. While shoppers will see the same products from the Capitol Square, the rule prohibiting vendors to sell any crafts has been relaxed for the Winter Market, which means vendors are selling such items as scented and dyed beeswax candles, painted ostrich eggs and garlic braids with flowers.

Although the Winter Market only expects around 1,000 shoppers weekly, compared to the more than 20,000 that visit the Capitol Square every seasonal Saturday, vendors are excited to be selling at the Farmer’s Market year-round.

“This really encourages people to think about buying locally for a longer period of time,” said Judy Halley, owner of Harmony Valley Farm. “The Farmer’s Market on the Square is such a pretty setting, and there’s lots of activities, so there are other reasons for people to come to the Square. But here they haven’t come for the entertainment — they’re definitely here for the food.”

While Halley has participated in the Farmer’s Market for 15 years, this will be her first experience selling at the Winter Market. Previously, there have been Holiday Markets held for two weeks in the winter at the Civic Center, and the first Winter Market was held last year for two months at the Madison Senior Center. She said that although there are fewer shoppers, sales might not be very different since more of the shoppers will purchase products.

Judy Hageman, co-manager of the Dane County Farmer’s Market, says she would like to bring the same excitement to the indoor Winter Market that has become a tradition of the Farmer’s Market on the Capitol Square.

“We don’t have the same ambiance as the outside,” she said. “At the Capitol Square we’re out in nature, which is part of farming, so it brings about a whole ambiance. And because there’s activities going on around the Square, it makes it a festive event.”

Hageman says there still are obstacles the Winter Market needs to overcome to help it succeed as a year-round event. First, it is a challenge to have vendors set up in a sterile atmosphere and still be inviting and welcoming to shoppers. Also, the Monona Terrace limits the number of vendors that can participate inside, and it is difficult for all vendors to unload and set up in such a confined space.

Ultimately, the Dane County Farmer’s Market hopes to find a permanent space where it can hold its Winter Market.

“We have such an economic impact on downtown; since we attract so many visitors, you would think Madison would jump at the opportunity to offer the Farmer’s Market an indoor place, because it really adds to the success of State Street,” Hageman said.

The Winter Market will run at the Monona Terrace every Saturday until the end of December. It will then move to the Madison Senior Center in January through the end of March and return to the Monona Terrace in April.