Campus climate still a hot topic at UW

Despite the increasing number of minority students at the University of Wisconsin, campus climate is still a prevailing issue for many students and faculty members. In hopes of finding solutions to this matter, numerous student groups, with the support of the administration, are promoting diversity to create a comfortable campus climate.

In light of recent racial assaults, the Associated Students of Madison has made an effort to avoid such future occurrences by creating the ASM Policy Statement. The bill has been passed and will alter the University Code of Conduct by enforcing stricter penalties for hate crimes. It also entails an expansion of education programming that addresses the issue.

A recent campus hate crime at Witte Residence Hall towards an African American housefellow brought issues of racism to the forefront of many UW students’ minds.

“This [Witte assault] is a perfect example for the need for diversity education. People need to stop and state that this isn’t right,” Multicultural Student Coalition executive member Theresa Viduarri said.

Marion Ecks, co-chair of the Plan 2008 Campaign, was pleased with ASM’s willingness to take a stand on the issue, noting that this is the group responsible for representing the student body and their wants.

“We will not accept things that will divide our community as a whole,” she said, pointing out that a hate crime has repercussions on not just the victim but on the surrounding society as well.

Ecks also hopes that, in addition to making the community’s response to hate crimes more stringent, the ASM Policy Statement will help people look past racial or diverse barriers. She said the prospect of being judged based on one aspect of one’s identity is truly dehumanizing.

“The campus as a whole needs to be aware of how actions affect everyone — peers and communities,” Ecks said.

UW provost Peter Spear agreed with Ecks.

“Incidents like these tell us there are still problems,” he said.

Spear noted that not only do such occurrences raise issues of comfort on campus, but they also undermine people’s previous work to prevent these matters.

In addition to targeting hate crimes, ASM is holding a Student of Color, Queer shadow day in mid-November. This day will give such high school seniors a chance to come to the university and see the various resources it has to offer.

Jennifer Epps, ASM Diversity Committee chair, said that this will be the first event to specifically target lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students and says she is very pleased with the positive student response; approximately 350 students are planning to take part.

“Students are so excited to take steps to promote diversity,” she said, adding that the opportunity to promote the issue isn’t always there.

The shadow day is a student-led initiative and, after three years of planning, will receive funding from the university.

ASM, which sponsors frequent teach-ins and trainings on diversity issues, is also planning on taking numerous students to the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

The group Promoting Racial and Ethnic Awareness has held several discussions on derogatory Halloween costumes, campus assaults and other racial issues.

PREA member Avery Kansteiner generally feels the student body is responsive to the group’s activities, but “some people are resistant,” she added.

PREA is sponsoring a lecture tonight and an upcoming symposium dealing with handling diversity.

The Multicultural Student Coalition is also coordinating several future events. They are co-sponsoring Garba, an event targeted toward Native American students, and will work with MECHa during Chicano Heritage Month.

All of these activities and organizations, according to Ecks, are working towards educating the student body in ways outside of the classroom.

“To look at diversity is an opportunity to learn something new,” she said.

All groups recognize the fact that the increasing numbers of diversity on campus do not necessarily indicate increased acceptance, and thus, much more work lies ahead.

“[The campus is] becoming diverse, but very slowly. … It’s not just a matter of recruiting, but also a matter where everyone can live successfully,” Spears said.

Epps agreed, adding, “It’s not at the level we’d like it to be at.”

Spears feels that students and administration can work together to help quell negative actions targeting diversity, and in doing so, increase the retention of diversity.

“I think we share the goals of trying to increase the diversity of the student body,” he said.

Each individual is bringing his own perspective to the forum, creating a slew of positive ideas, he added.

“Diversity is going to make our students better educated in the long run.”