Students work to balance jobs, studies

This is the third in a series of articles examining the challenges life at the University of Wisconsin brings for many students.

It’s a cold, October morning as University of Wisconsin student Gina Lemberger begins her day at University Health Services. As she prepares to answer phones and hand out free condoms, she’s not thinking about the next Badger game or any other plans for the weekend. She’s not thinking about taking a trip home or even catching a movie.

All that is on her mind is the 17.5-hour day she is beginning.

“I get up and get to UHS by 8:30,” she begins as she clicks off her schedule on her fingers. “I work there until five [minutes] to 11. Then I have an 11 class. Then I have a little break, and I usually eat lunch or something. Then I have a 1 class, and then a 2:25. Then I go home and change into my work clothes and I work until between 12 and 2 in the morning.”

Lemberger, who works as a receptionist at UHS and as a waitress at a local restaurant, says that despite having two jobs with long hours, she still has trouble paying all her bills.

“Two jobs aren’t enough to cover the cost of school. I still have to take out loans for tuition,” she said.

UW student Maureen Dowling, also balancing two jobs, agrees.

“That’s like side money,” she said. “That would definitely not help pay the bills. My parents are helping me right now.”

The daunting cycle of securing a part-time job to pay for school, and then risking school work to meet the demands of a job, is faced daily by many students.

“I would definitely do better if I didn’t work,” said Lissi Danielson, who also works as a waitress. “I could probably get straight As if I didn’t work.”

Student Catherine Erhard also questioned the effect of her job on her classes.

“I usually work until 10. But by the time I’m done working, I don’t feel like doing my reading, so I put things off.

“I end up putting more effort into my job than I do with school work,” she said. “The worst part of my job is being bored there and knowing I could be reading or doing something else, and I’m not.”

Other students were also quick to tell about their worst job experiences.

“Saturday night of Homecoming weekend, I worked 11 hours and made $19 in tips,” Lemberger said. “They (her customers) were too drunk to realize that they should be tipping me. I had to kick people out for being obscene or calling me names. That was a pretty bad night.”

Danielson has also had her share of bad evenings.

“I’ve had terrible experiences at work where it’s been so busy that I can’t even handle it, and the people are really mean. I make hardly any money at all.

“It all depends on the people,” she continued. “If they’re really mean, then my whole night’s ruined. If they’re nice and understanding, then everything’s fine.”

Dowling said she believes her worst job experiences revolved around her boss.

“The worst experience is when your boss doesn’t care to understand you or listen to you,” she stated.

When asked whether most managers acted this way, Dowling answered, “Its half and half. Some people I know have awesome bosses. They work with them and befriend them and have fun with them.”

Despite shortcomings, all the students interviewed believed their jobs had benefits, even if it took some of them awhile to think of them.

“At UHS this woman came in from Turkey the other day,” recounted Lemberger. “She had no idea how to go about getting any sort of medical care in the [United States]. I walked her through the process, and I thought that was pretty rewarding.

“I kind of encourage it,” Lemberger said of her long work schedule. “Working is kind of an important part of life. It even helps you with studying, because you know when you have to get that stuff done.”

Dowling agreed.

“You just open yourself up to new kinds of people, different kinds of people,” she said. “I guess I’d rather work, because I think it builds things in you that you otherwise wouldn’t have.”