Student leaders voice support for candidates

With the impending Congressional and gubernatorial elections this week, student leaders have expressed support for candidates on both sides of the political aisle.

Many leaders voiced support for Second Congressional District incumbent Democrat Tammy Baldwin for her strong stances on environmental and student matters, as well as her support for pro-choice education and third-world monetary aid and her disapproval of attacking Iraq.

A general interest in the community and representation of local people, especially students, are also key ingredients of Baldwin’s campaign, these student leaders said.

“She’s been there in the past for students,” Multicultural Student Coalition executive member and Associated Students of Madison member Carl Camacho said.

Camacho, who has worked for Baldwin in the past, said he feels Baldwin not only has valuable political experience but is also accepting and listens to the voices of the people.

“She knows Madison,” Camacho added, pointing out that her years in this area contribute to her knowledge of local issues.

Bryan Gadow, Associated Students of Madison chair, also said he admires Baldwin’s interest in the Madison students. He added that as a student leader, it’s very important to see political leaders reaching to the students, and he feels Baldwin has done so.

“She really fights for students. She’s very receptive,” Gadow said.

However, Benjamin Krautkramer, first vice chairman of the College Republicans, perceives the ideologies of challenger Ron Greer, a Republican, as fitting for serving as the district’s House representative.

“I think he comes closer [than Baldwin] in terms of representing me and every issue you could think of,” he said.

Krautkramer cited health care and the budget as just two of the many issues that he feels do indeed represent him and others.

The majority of these student leaders feel that Baldwin will come out on top of the election. However, all agree that the final decision will be a close one.

“It’s going to be close. But I still think she can win,” Gadow said.

Krautkramer said he also feels that although it will be a tight race to the finish, Greer still has the chance of winning the election.

“Ron definitely has the potential to have a great showing. He does have a chance to win,” Krautkramer said.

Support among student leaders is also divided in the governor’s race.

Camacho said he plans to support Democratic candidate Jim Doyle over Republican incumbent Scott McCallum.

“McCallum’s put the state in a bind,” Camacho said. “He just doesn’t seem like a good Republican candidate,” adding that he feels that McCallum hasn’t been able to get the job done in the right way.

Krautkramer, on the other hand, plans on supporting McCallum in the elections.

“I feel that he has done the best job possible under the circumstances,” he said, emphasizing that McCallum’s appropriate display of character are a sign of continuing future success.

“I like the fact that he’s not committed to raising taxes,” Krautkramer added.

Both Camacho and Krautkramer, while adamant in their support, expect the outcome of the election to be a close one.

Gadow is not sure whom he plans on supporting Tuesday, but said he will make an educated vote after he researches each candidate this week.

Student leaders interviewed said their opinions did not reflect the opinions of their respective organizations.