Student groups fund-raise to add to money bank

by Chris WernerCampus Writer

In hopes of not only raising funds but also educating the public on the ever-present problem of domestic abuse, the Domestic Abuse Intervention Services is holding a masquerade ball this weekend at Union South.

The “Crow’s Fest of Spirits,” is one of nearly a dozen fund-raising events DAIS holds annually.

This particular occasion aims to raise funds by collecting a cover charge for those in attendance.

DAIS will promote its theme of abuse prevention by keeping various staff personnel handy to answer questions and give information.

“It’s a tremendous, prevalent problem,” said Saima Akhtar, shelter services coordinator of DAIS in Dane County.

According to Akhtar, domestic abuse has become a very common issue in this area. Akhtar said abuse is the No. 1 crime to which Dane County police forces respond, and that one-third of emergency room cases are the result of domestic abuse.

“People have a right to live violence-free,” Akhtar said.

DAIS aims to promote a violence-free life by providing constant support for the abused or threatened with its 24-hour crisis line, free legal advice and emergency shelter. It also spreads the word of healthy relationships by educating younger people.

DAIS has been an active part of the community for 25 years and says it has aided thousands of people.

“They know that we’re here and will continue to be here,” Akhtar said.

Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment also raised funds for its organization while educating attendees at its Oct. 25 drag show.

The drag show, which was the brainchild of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer coordinator, consisted of various skits and acts.

Some acts had serious underlying themes, with emphasis on such important topics like sexual communication and date rape. Other performances gave the drag kings and queens, as well as the audience, a chance to let loose with some wild songs, dress and dance. The audience learned statistics about assault and abuse during various interludes throughout the evening.

“It was a fun way to bring up the issue,” PAVE chair Stephanie Byrnes said.

Byrnes and Megan Riley, PAVE media coordinator, were extremely pleased with the turnout at the show. Riley was also very happy with the huge turnout from the dorms, which has been a main target for PAVE in light of recent sexual-assault incidents.

Because of the larger-than-expected crowd, PAVE pulled in funds that far exceeded their expectations. Riley said they hoped for about $400, but ended up with approximately $700.

“It was great to have two communities come together,” Byrnes said, addressing the joint efforts of both heterosexual and homosexual groups to coordinate the event.

Jane Duffy, Gay Lesbian Transgender residence hall liason, also admired the combination of skits that addressed both gay and straight issues, which showed that assault and abuse are not just prevalent in heterosexual communities.

“They connected it really well,” she added.

Because of the positive response of the community, PAVE and LGBTQ hope to hold another drag show in the spring.

Infoshop and the Movimiento Estudiential Chicano de Aztlan have no major fund-raisers planned for the near future. Although they hold various events throughout the year, donations, SSFC funding, and other contributions are used to support the organizations.

MEChA has just begun talk of future fund-raisers, but because November is their busiest month, they are only in the initial stages of planning.