Sheriff candidate Benedetto cites youth as asset

What will you be doing when you are 27 years old?

At 27, Adam Benedetto, a manager of Magnus Restaurant off Capitol Square, is running for Dane County sheriff. Although he graduated from the University of Wisconsin- River Falls with a degree in English only three years ago, he has already written two books of poetry, published many essays, stories, and political writings, and done some pottery on the side. At age 27, he has already held the position of art and literature coordinator in Wisconsin for Ralph Nader’s 2000 presidential campaign, motorcycled across the United States, and lived in Europe.

“I’ve been around … I’ve seen how badly America treats the environment,” Benedetto stated.

The candidate is running on the Green-Progressive party ticket for the election, and in accordance with a central tenet of the Green Party, grassroots democracy, he feels his impact on society will be felt greatest at a local level.

Benedetto’s most publicized political point is his call for the use of rehabilitation over punishment in the county’s jails.

“Basically, criminals go into jail and wind up sitting there. We need to provide them with rehabilitation, to help them do something productive, to help them use the Internet to find jobs when they get out,” he asserted.

According to Benedetto, the effects of a rehabilitative prison system could be felt immediately.

Benedetto’s other main ideas concern strong community organizations as well as crime prevention rather than crime reaction.

“It doesn’t take a lot of time or a lot of money to teach a few things to people so that they can move on with their life better,” he said.

While Benedetto acknowledges some see his youth as a weakness of his campaign, Benedetto only sees his age as an asset.

“I just really want young people to be involved in politics, above all else,” he said.

Benedetto has been active in running a noisy campaign. From riding his bicycle from house to house and visiting locally owned stores and businesses, he said he has met a number of people he feels have the potential influence to sway the outcome of the election.

Benedetto, who is confident he can reach 40 percent and even win, said his favorite band is Wilco and his favorite movie is the most recent he had seen, “Gandhi,” which he said provides him with motivation for his crusade for social justice and fairness.

Despite the odds stacked against a successful campaign at unseating incumbent Sheriff Gary Hamblin, Benedetto remains optimistic his voice will be heard.

“I’ve done everything right so far. I think I can win.”