Two suspects arrested in shooting of 14-year-old Fitchburg girl

The 14 year-old Fitchburg girl shot in the back Sunday night at an east side motel remains at UW hospital in stable condition with injuries police officials describe as potentially life-threatening.

Madison police have two suspects, who were arrested shortly after the shooting at approximately 9:15 p.m. at the Comfort Inn Suites at 4822 E. Washington Ave., in custody, Lt. Steven Smithson said in a police report.

According to Smithson, an altercation ensued in the Comfort Inn’s parking lot after one group of people confronted another group attempting to steal the wheels off their car.

As the group attempting to steal the car’s wheels was leaving, three shots rang out, leaving a 14 year-old girl injured, shot in the back.

Minutes after the shooting, the police were contacted.

Lt. Smithson encouraged anyone with information regarding the shooting to contact the Madison Police Department at 243-5258.

The shooting comes a week after a Subway restaurant at 3702 E. Washington Ave., a block from Sunday’s shooting location, was robbed at knifepoint. A man entered the shop at approximately 11 p.m., displaying a knife and demanding money from an employee before fleeing with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Last Monday, Oct. 21, Bessie B. Shelby, 51, was arrested and charged in the stabbing of her roommate on the 600 block of East Washington.

According to a police report, the victim was stabbed once in the left shoulder after the two engaged in a dispute over the location of an electric fan in their room.

The victim was treated at a hospital and later released.