Weekend sees halfhearted Halloween celebration

Despite massive police preparation for a two-weekend Halloween, the first weekend’s celebration proved to be sparse as few turned out in costume to celebrate Saturday night.

Lt. Cameron McLey of the Madison Police Department acknowledged the night produced no significant Halloween-related festivities or rowdiness.

“It was quite a quiet night for a Saturday night this time of year,” McLey said. “Nothing eventful occurred.”

McLey could not recall a number of arrests out of the ordinary this past weekend and said predicting potentially out-of-control scenarios is hit or miss.

“We never know, because there is no sanctioned event. In recent years Halloween has started to get big again,” said McLey, who reiterated the Madison Police Department’s belief that this coming Thursday, Oct. 31, will prove to be the pinnacle of this year’s Halloween celebrations.

“We are staffing for Halloween night,” McLey said.

University of Wisconsin-Madison senior Monique DeBroux said the absence of crowds on State Street was extremely visible.

“The only people dressed up were people from out of town who didn’t know that we’re celebrating Halloween next weekend,” DeBroux said.

She added her hope that last Saturday’s party will cut down next weekend’s crowds.

“I’m hoping it will cut down on next weekend’s congestion,” she said.