ASM elections draw judicial scrutiny

Keeping in step with its recent trend of controversial problems, the Associated Students of Madison has fallen victim to yet another dilemma.

Just after the announcement of the results of the freshmen, non-Letters and Science, graduate and special-seat elections, a complaint has been filed stating that two newly elected members of the Unity party, Maryam Ashraf and Sahar Abdelrahman, violated ASM guidelines by discussing elections matters within 100 feet of restricted zones, such as the Memorial Union.

“Right now, I’m really disappointed in the complaint that was filed. We were so meticulous about where we talked,” Ashraf said.

Jana Kraschnewski, Chief Justice of the Student Judiciary, said that a panel will meet Friday to discuss the issue. However, she pointed out that a decision on the matter may not be made for some time.

Because of this rapidly developing issue, all newly elected officers were denied participation in the swearing in process, which was intended to take place Monday. They will have to wait to be become active ASM representatives until a decision regarding the complaint is determined.

“I was really excited about being sworn in Monday,” Ashraf said. “I feel like everything is being delayed.”

Kraschnewski stated that the panel handles complaints case-by-case and added that Ashraf and Abdelrahman could ultimately face disqualification of serving as ASM representatives.

Ashraf, however, is confident that the opportunity to represent her peers will not be stifled by the complaint.

“I’m very confident, because everyone I worked with was very conscious of the rules,” she said.

In addition to the elections of Ashraf and Abdelrahman, Bob Thelen III and Adam Schlicht were elected as freshman representatives. Keith Thompson took the non-Letters and Science election.

“I think I have a lot of the enthusiasm and skill necessary for ASM,” Schlicht said.

Student Elections Chair of ASM and Student Judiciary associate justice Clara Janis was disappointed in the voter turnout. She attributed this low participation to the recent controversy that has plagued ASM. Janis also feels that fall elections are mainly directed at the freshmen class, which can also act as a deterrent to upperclassmen voting.

Thelen III, who was inspired to run for election after witnessing a protest, felt it was right to represent his peers.

“They needed a fresh face in ASM,” he added.

In order to get people to notice his attributes, Thelen III undertook a vigorous campaign. He formed a campaigning committee early in the year, and together they created a website, sidewalk-chalked the campus and, most importantly, tried to partake in as much face-to-face interaction as possible.

“My goal is to be open to the student population. I feel it is my job to represent the freshmen population’s opinion,” Thelen III said.

Schlicht also used personal interaction as a key ingredient in his campaign, for as he pointed out, communication is much more personal than sidewalk-chalking.

“I like the idea of representing other students. I like having the feeling that I can help other people,” Schlicht said.

Janis, although disappointed by the overall voter turnout, said she was pleased with the number of freshmen who voted.

Many freshmen said they saw the ASM elections as an opportunity to let their voices be heard on campus for the first time.

“I thought it was important to vote, because I didn’t agree with all the candidates’ views, such as Unity. I wanted to make sure that the candidates I agreed with got my vote,” freshman Michael John Bruni said.

Freshman Patrick Elliott also saw the elections as a way to take advantage of the campus’ democratic system. He pointed out that his vote, though only one, still has an effect on the overall student government.

“Voting gives me a direct hand in how I am being represented on campus,” freshman Diana Baumann said.

Janis agreed that it is important to vote, because ASM representatives handle matters that do indeed affect University of Wisconsin-Madison students.

“It’s important to express your views. [For example], know where your money is going,” Janis added.

In order to improve voter participation in the spring, Janis said she hopes to start talking to classes and dorms far in advance of elections in order to increase knowledge of not only the candidates but also of the importance of ASM.