Badgers can’t pull off upset vs. OSU

Anthony Davis ran the best he has all season and Jim Sorgi filled in admirably for an injured Brooks Bollinger, but the UW football team couldn’t make enough plays to pull off an upset of No. 4 Ohio State, losing 19-14 Saturday evening.

Tight end Ben Hartsock caught a three-yard TD pass from Craig Krenzel to put the Buckeyes ahead midway through the fourth quarter. UW threatened to answer the score, moving deep into OSU territory on the next drive, but Chris Gamble intercepted what looked like a touchdown pass from Sorgi to Jonathan Orr on the goal line and UW didn’t come close to scoring again as its offense stalled and Ohio State ran out the clock.

Davis ran for 146 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries, outplaying Heisman candidate Maurice Clarett, who totaled 135 yards on 30 carries and didn’t find the end zone.

Bollinger left the game in the second quarter with a concussion. Sorgi finished the day 7-15 for 137 yards and a touchdown pass to Orr. Orr, who set the UW single-season record for receiving yards by a freshman, caught four passes for 107 yards.