Witte housefellow threatened with racial slurs

It’s been almost three weeks since African American Witte housefellow Daniel Steinbring first began getting harassed with racial epitaphs and threatening phone calls. The administration’s delayed response to the crime has led University of Wisconsin student minority leaders to accuse campus officials of attempting to ignore the situation.

The words “Nigger sucks” were written in a stairwell near Steinbring’s room on Witte B’s second floor Sept. 27. Steinbring received two phone calls Oct. 7 from an anonymous male who said, “Nigger, go home. We don’t want you here on campus.”

Steinbring said he is unsure who the harasser could be, but suspects it may be one of a students he admonished as part of his duty as a housefellow.

“I’m a housefellow,” Steinbring said. “I have had some altercations with people somewhere, but nothing big enough to cause this.”

Steinbring brought the crime to the university police, who he said were helpful. In contrast, he said, the university officials he spoke with were “all talk.”

“[Administrators] say they’re supporting students fully, but it’s just words,” he said. “I’m going to look for the support when it comes for funding for endorsing multicultural programs.”

Senior class president Carl Camacho also condemned the university’s reaction to the incident, accusing officials of attempting to “sweep it under the rug.”

“My perspective is that the university does not want its negligent stance on this to be shown,” he said. “What I want is that the university take a proactive investigation on the matter and take a stance on this. Why are they putting their tails between their legs?”

Resident Life Coordinator Jennifer Adams said Witte Hall is holding a teach-in today at 7 p.m. to address the incident.

“We want students to understand what happens and how it affects everyone,” she said.

The campus group Promoting Racial and Ethnic Awareness will conduct the teach-in.

“What I see as the biggest concern is a lot of students aren’t aware [of the crime] or they don’t think it’s a big deal,” Adams said.

Hima Reddy, a UW freshman on Steinbring’s floor, said her housefellow is handling the situation well.

“He’s handling it very calmly, but of course he’s against it,” Reddy said.

She added that the crime surprised residents on her floor, but no one is afraid.

“We’re not scared. I think these people are just looking to piss Dan off.”

Steinbring recently circulated a letter to dorm residents about the crime.

“I was stripped of something that should never be taken away from anyone, my peace of mind,” the letter read.

Reddy emphasized her high opinion of Steinbring’s character.

“He’s a great housefellow,” Reddy said. “He’s laid-back when he needs to be and strict when he needs to be.”

News of the hate crime has some students especially worried because it comes on the heels of recent sexual assaults in Ogg, adjacent to Witte.

“This raises bigger issues of housing climate, dorm climate and safety,” Steinbring said.

Camacho concurred.

“The biggest issue here is that our dorms aren’t safe. You’re not free from sexual assault; you’re not free from hate crime.”