UW students in jail for selling fake IDs

Two University of Wisconsin students were arrested at their apartments Friday morning for developing fake IDs and selling them to university students.

UW police searched the apartments of Adrian Johnson of the 200 block of N. Frances St. and Marcus Hill of the 500 block of W. Johnson Ave. at approximately 5:30 Friday morning, confiscating drugs, a gun and “evidence of a false-ID business,” according to a UWPD press release.

The two students were arrested and are currently in custody at the Dane County Sheriff’s Office, awaiting a preliminary hearing. They were not offered bail because ID-card violation is a felony offense.

Friday’s arrests were the result of a seven-month investigation by UWPD detectives and a deputy district attorney. According to the press release, Hill and Johnson had developed “a large number of false drivers’ licenses, many of which were being used by underage individuals to purchase alcohol on campus.”

The Madison Police Emergency Response team as well as the Dane County Narcotics and Gang Task Force joined the UW-Madison police in searching the apartments Friday.