“Laugh Lines” comedy club

In one of many efforts to curb the amount of alcohol consumption among University of Wisconsin students, Laugh Lines comedy club, an alcohol-free environment, has opened on State Street. The club, formerly located on the west side, kicked off its new location in the Orpheum Theatre Sept. 13.

Jim Taugher, owner of Laugh Lines, approached UW officials with the concept of a live stand-up comedy club when he relocated the club to State Street.

When asked if he felt Laugh Lines would help deter student drinking, Taugher said, “It’s an uphill battle, but in the long run, it’ll help.”

In addition to Laugh Lines, other works are in progress to minimize underage drinking, including free concerts and activities at the Memorial Union and live music at Luther’s Blues and the Annex.

Wisconsin Union publicist Marc Kennedy recognizes the fact that these programs will not totally wipe out underage drinking. He feels that a bell curve best describes the current situation of student drinking. There will always be students who drink, but it is important to find non-alcoholic alternatives for those students in the middle, he said.

“There is a difference between six hours of drinking and two hours at a comedy club where the focal point isn’t just alcohol,” Kennedy said.

Laugh Lines is hoping to entice the student population by giving discounts in attempt to boost the popularity of its alcohol-free environment. Also, interested students will be able to take comedy classes, taught by Taugher and his fiancée. Eventually, these students will have the chance to perform. The main focus of comedic performances will be student issues and affairs.

The club already has a packed schedule. “We have a lot of great comics coming, ” Taugher said. “It’s hard to find enough weeks in the year. There are a lot of really talented and funny people out there.”

In its opening weekend, the club featured four performances of Butch Bradley, a former regular of Comedy Central. Future scheduled comedians include Andy Campbell, Lord Carrett, Lewis Black (not a discounted show), Chad Daniels, BT and David Crowe.
Although its premier night didn’t fill the house, Taugher is confident that once the word of Laugh Lines spreads, it will become a hot commodity among the student body.
UW senior Jason Kepler is skeptical.
“Students are attracted to bars because they like to drink, period,” he said. “Students who like to drink will continue to do so regardless of other available activities.”
Kennedy feels the same way about alcohol-free activities. He hopes that with the wide variety of things to do and to choose from, students will find their own niche, which may not necessarily involve alcohol.
“The student response has been terrific,” Kennedy said of alcohol-free endeavors as of late.