City honors victims with series of events

Madison government officials, the Madison Fire Department and local churches are among organizations holding events in commemoration of Sept.11. The memorial events will begin at 7:46 a.m. with a nation-wide moment of silence called for by President Bush and will end with an evening memorial service at sundown.

A statewide-televised program of remembrance will take place on the steps of the Capitol at the foot of State Street, starting at noon. Governor Scott McCallum is scheduled to speak.

A United Way of Dane County-sponsored local gathering at the state capitol building will begin at 12:30 p.m. and feature a number of speakers including Madison Fire Chief Debra Amesqua, Dane County Sheriff Gary Hamblin and Madison Mayor Sue Bauman.

After a University of Wisconsin police officer sings “America the Beautiful,” wreaths will be placed around a tree in the grassy area adjacent to the Capitol’s steps.

The schedule of public events will close with a memorial service, “Standing on Common Ground: Remembrance and Hope,” at the Madison Civic Center on State Street. The memorial service is being sponsored by leaders from local houses of worship of a number of religions, including Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity and Native American.

A children’s choir will also sing.

The Madison Fire Department has also scheduled a full day of events. At approximately 7:46 a.m., the Madison Department Honor Guard will lower their flags to half-staff, honor a moment of silence and then recite both the “Pledge of Allegiance” and the “Firefighter’s Prayer.” The fire department also plans to ring their bell to memorialize fallen FDNY firefighters. The same signal will ring at both 9:05 a.m. and 9:28 am, the respective times of the two towers’ collapse.

The Madison Area Peace Coalition, an organization of more than 40 businesses, is hosting a morning vigil at Lisa Link Peace Park on State Street from 8 to 9 a.m., an all-day gathering and an evening open mic at Room of One’s Own bookstore.