Campaign fundraising

Candidates in the gubernatorial race may believe name recognition is needed to win the election, but experts say the answer also depends on the amount of money the candidates spend.

Libertarian candidate Ed Thompson has received the least amount of money throughout the campaign and is the only candidate who may be able to receive a matching-funds grant from the government. Candidates can receive up to $210,000 from the grant. To qualify, Thompson must receive 6 percent of the primary votes Tuesday.

As of Sept. 6, Thompson had raised $324,243 and has $13,322 on hand, according to volunteer coordinator Joshua Thompson.

In addition, Thompson has not received any money from special-interest groups, which is another of the requirements to qualify for the grant.

According to Joshua Thompson, 75 percent of the contributions have been less than $500.

“If this election depends on money, Thompson doesn’t stand a chance, but if it can be earned, he has done what he needs to do,” Joshua Thompson said.

Democratic candidate Kathleen Falk has raised more than $1 million, according to communications director Scot Ross.

Ross said Falk received much of her support from environmentalists, educators and working men and women.

Although Ross believes the money raised during a campaign trail is not a predictor of the winner, it is necessary in order for the candidate to receive recognition.

“To run a statewide campaign you need statewide presence,” Ross said. “[Falk] has statewide experience.”

Democratic candidate Tom Barrett’s donations for the last six-week cycle total approximately $560,000, according to communications director Brigid O’Brien.

O’Brien said Barrett has used technology and statewide travel to help get his name across.

Representatives from Jim Doyle’s and Gov. Scott McCallum’s offices were unable to be reached for comment. According to the State Board website, Doyle’s beginning cash totaled approximately $1.76 million. Doyle’s ending fund as of Sept. 3 totaled nearly $433,040.

McCallum had a beginning cash sum of $1.6 million and has an ending cash sum of $1.21 million. He has also received $629,630 from individuals and $59,910 from committees.