Capitol finger-pointing

Investigations into the state’s caucus scandal have caused local lawmakers to question each other’s ethical principals and actions while raking up large legal bills.

At a press conference last week, U.S. Rep. Tom Barrett, D-Wis., a gubernatorial hopeful, called for Attorney General Jim Doyle, a fellow candidate, to answer key questions in the investigation prior to Wisconsin’s September primary elections.

“There are serious problems that permeate the Capitol,” Barrett said. “The people of Wisconsin want their questions and concerns answered. Jim Doyle has the answers to some of those questions.”

The caucus scandal broke last spring after it was discovered that some state legislative aides were campaigning while working. The investigation has cost the state more than $700,000 in legal fees.

Last week, the state Ethics Board began investigating Justice Department legal aide JoAnna Richard for campaigning on state time.

An Oct. 1, 2001, letter from the Ethics Board said Richard was under suspicion for using state resources for illegal campaign work.

Doyle has made several public statements that no one on his staff is under investigation, although Richard has been questioned several times.

“The entire issue in the caucus investigation is state employees doing political work on state time,” Barrett said. “This activity is illegal. The potential involvement of a top-level Doyle staffer in the matters being investigated — both before and after coming to work for Doyle — raises major concerns.”

Barrett said he is not looking for Doyle to step down but would like an independent council to lead the caucus investigation.

Bill Christofferson, spokesman for Doyle’s campaign, called the accusation “political garbage” and said Barrett’s campaign was dredging up issues because he is behind in polls.

“A lot of people would like to see the Department of Justice get out of this investigation, because it is the agency with the resources to do a thorough job and help the district attorneys, who are running the investigation, find the truth,” Christofferson said. “Let’s be clear: The Justice Department will continue to assist with this investigation. Assist is a key word. Jim Doyle is not running this investigation.”

Christofferson said the investigation includes two district attorneys who are operating independently and making all the decisions about the scope and conduct of the investigation.

“As attorney general, Jim Doyle’s role is to make sure the DAs have the investigators they need to conduct a full and thorough investigation to get to the truth,” he said.

Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said he believes the caucus investigation should not be paid for by taxpayers.

“Enough is enough. Tax dollars for caucus lawyers, tax dollars to defend tax dollars for caucus lawyers, tax dollars for the speaker to hire a private eye to investigate his staff,” Black said. “It’s time for this hemorrhaging of tax dollars on the caucus scandal to stop.”

Black has requested a meeting of the Joint Legislative Committee on Legislative Organization. Black would also like to withhold payments of future bills in an open-records lawsuit filed by Common Cause of Wisconsin.

“The Assembly’s blank-check policy on lawyer bills has been arrogant and irresponsible, far exceeding what its own Organization Committee authorized and helping cause a $2.3 million overrun in the Assembly’s budget,” Black said.