Postponement of multicultural living area raises criticism

The postponement of the new Multicultural Learning Community for Witte Hall has drawn criticism from UW-Madison students.

The community, designed to create a space for students interested in living in a diverse setting within a university residence hall, was unable to attract a sufficient number of applicants.

“Although we’re disappointed the MLC program won’t be ready for this fall, we continue to be very enthusiastic about launching a community to explore issues of ethnicity, race, gender and class,” Larry Davis, assistant residence life director for residential housing said.

But some students feel the idea was misguided from the beginning. Jennifer Epps, Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee co-chair, said she is not surprised there was not interest in the program.

“The only students who would apply are students of color, and there aren’t any at UW,” Epps said.

She said she feels the center is an attempt to mask the larger issues of diversity on campus.

“I think this is a short-sighted answer to a larger problem,” Epps said. “They’re trying to make [UW] seem like it’s more multicultural by putting all the students of color in one area.”

Epps said efforts should focus more on attracting minority students.

“I think it’s a waste of money,” Epps said. “I’d rather see it go toward recruiting students of color.”

Other students disagree and say UW should be proactive in promoting diversity programs, regardless of initial support.

“I would think there would be more interest in this kind of thing,” said UW freshman Nicole Giovanni. “People on this campus are always complaining about UW’s lack of diversity efforts.”

The MLC, now slated to open on the second floor of Witte in 2003, is sponsored by the UW College of Letters and Sciences, the School of Education and the Division of University Housing. It will join other learning communities such as Chadbourne Residential College and Global Village in Merit Hall.
Students who applied to live in the MLC are in process of finding new housing.