Humorology donations soar

A record-setting $35,000 was raised for charities this weekend at the 56th annual Humorology production.

UW-Madison fraternities and sororities teamed up for the show, which included singing, dancing and comedy.

Thousands of students and supporters attended “Against All Odds” at Memorial Union.

The proceeds will be divided among the Dean of Students Crisis Fund for university students in need, the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund for children who lost parents in the Sept. 11 crisis, and Camp Heartland, a summer camp for children affected by AIDS.

Kappa Kappa Gamma and Acacia won first place for their skit, “Bowser Clan in Marioland: Against All Oddballs.”

Second place went to Delta Gamma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Alpha Gamma Rho for the “New Badgers.”

Third place was awarded to Gamma Phi Beta and Sigma Phi Epsilon for “Chancelot.”

Emily Nerad, public relations director for Humorology, said this year’s show was phenomenal.

“More than any other year, people were more impressed by the overall quality of the show,” she said. “We’ve gotten a lot of comments.”

Although the show fell short of the $50,000 goal, they exceeded last year’s donations by more than $5,000.

“We’re very proud of the money we raised,” Nerad said.
In addition to ticket sales, money was raised from a penny war and donations solicited from large companies such as Supervalue.