UW celebrates World Languages Day

UW-Madison celebrated World Languages Day Tuesday by introducing 600 students from high schools across Wisconsin to over 60 languages and cultures taught at UW.

In addition to learning about global ethnicities, students heard about various indigenous groups of Wisconsin, such as Germans and Scandinavians.

The 40 sessions focused on storytelling, cinema, skits, cooking, dance and other arts, clothing, business practices and more.

Jane Tylus, associate dean for the arts and humanities in the UW College of Letters and Science, said the event shows the importance of learning about rest of the world.

“World Languages Day will not only highlight UW-Madison’s language, culture and area studies programs but also will send the message that language learning is important to members of a global community,” Tylus said.

She added that knowledge of a second or third language is not limited to the workplace.

“It can enrich your personal life, giving students the tools to go abroad and explore another culture in depth,” Tylus said.

UW faculty and staff are also invited to the event.

“Teachers will have the chance to experience firsthand some of the latest developments in language teaching,” said event coordinator Catherine Reiland. “They will also be able to meet with representatives of our seven federally funded area studies centers to find out more about the resources and services available here.”

Elizabeth Herder, a high school senior from Stevens Point, said she enjoyed the presentation about the Dead Sea Scrolls.

“I hadn’t heard much about them, and I thought it was really cool,” she said.

The day was sponsored by the College of Letters and Science, with support from the UW International Institute and the Anonymous Fund.
“We are tremendously pleased by the overwhelming response and proud to share with students the rich language offerings available in the college,” said L&S dean Phillip R. Certain.