New parking plan finalized

New parking policies for UW-Madison, designed to make the most of a shrinking supply of spaces, were finalized Friday.

“The campus demand for parking is so high, and space is so limited, we must find ways to make optimal use of the space we do have,” according to Lance Lunsway, UW-Madison’s Transportation Services director.

UW currently owns 11,000 stalls, the fewest stalls per capita in the Big Ten. At any time, about 200 employees are on waiting lists for annual parking assignments. Officials know the problem will worsen as new building projects and ramp construction temporarily eliminate parking stalls over the next five years.

To help pay for new ramps and low-cost parking alternatives, Chancellor John Wiley and transportation officials finalized a plan to increase parking rates, with cheaper lots available to the university’s lowest-paid employees.

Other changes will include:

-Eliminating after-hour permits, to increase general lot access after 4:30 p.m.

-Reducing the number of business alternates allowed from four to one.

-Reducing categories of lot enforcement times from 23 to four.

The controversial issue of emeritus parking was also resolved last week.

The subject raised concerns when emeritus professors learned they would have to pay for parking, which had previously been free of charge. Under the new plan, those with emeritus status apply and pay for the same pool of parking permits that are available to other faculty and staff.

However, they may pick up free temporary permits from one of the Transportation Services offices when space is available. They may also use temporary or departmental permits issued to departments, when available.

In addition to these changes, permit applications will now be handled online.

“It will be quicker and easier for our customers to apply for and receive permits,” Lunsway said. “Also, eliminating much of the paper and paper-shuffling will help us control costs and improve the quality of our service.”

Customers can expect to receive parking assignment notification via e-mail in late July.

Though new parking ramps are being planned, obstacles such as the high costs of building parking ramps–estimated at $20,000 to $30,000 per stall–and geographical limitations make it unlikely the parking supply will ever match the demand.

“There is little we can do to create more parking on this campus,” Wiley said. “But we can provide incentives for commuters to try other forms of transportation, and we can try to rationalize the way we use parking space.”

The university will use new revenue from parking fees to build new parking and subsidize a series of transportation alternatives to further alleviate demand for parking. Officials said Transportation Services has reached a tentative agreement with Madison Metro to provide free Madison Metro bus passes, such as those available to students, to UW faculty and staff.

Another program in the works will add an additional lot to UW Park and Ride programs, which currently shuttle participants from UW Research Park to various areas on campus. Final details will be announced later this spring.
In addition, the committee is increasing capacity on the free campus bus service, increasing the number of bicycle lockers and upgrading the Lakeshore bike path.