Study reveals retention rates for minority students up

The number of new, ‘targeted’ undergraduate students of color in UW System schools increased by 7.7 percent since last fall, according to the system’s annual minority and disadvantaged student report.

In addition, the number of targeted minority students enrolled as undergraduates in UW schools increased 63 percent to 2,647 in the last decade, officials said.

The report defines targeted race/ ethnic populations as African Americans, Hispanic/ Latino Americans, American Indians and those defined as statute by Southeast Asians.

Total enrollment for students of color increased 5.9 percent from 12,435 in Fall 2000 to 13,165 in Fall 2001.

The report said during the 10-year period between Fall 1990 and Fall 2000 second year retention rates increased for all targeted groups except African Americans. In 1990, 64.8 percent of black students who entered the school stayed for a second year. In 2000, 64.7 percent of blacks entering were retained.

The percentage of Hispanics and American Indians who stayed for a fourth year increased from 49 percent to 56.1 percent and 37.2 percent to 43.1 percent, respectively. The number of Southeast Asians who were retained for four years decreased from 63.1 percent to 55.1 percent.

For some students at UW-Madison, these statistics serve as a means of measuring “campus climate.” Jennifer Epps, co-chair of the Associated Students of Madison’s Diversity Committee, said minority students do not feel welcome at UW.

“Campus climate is a big problem,” Epps said. “We’re not the only ones who deal with racism, but black people are the most targeted group.”

She added that tuition increases are also part of the problem.

“Tuition increases and budget cuts are a problem,” Epps said. “The people who need financial aid happen to be, in a lot of cases, people of color.”

Andrea Arenas, the senior adviser on multicultural affairs for UW System President Katharine Lyall, said she agreed with Epps, claiming proposed budget cuts will hurt the UW System’s diversity efforts.

“In terms of the message to students of color, budget cuts can signal that there are no places for you,” Arenas told the Associated Press.
The report also tracked degrees earned by minority students. From 1990 to 2000, total degrees earned by students of color increased 77 percent, from 1,114 in 1990 to 1,967 in 2000.
The Board of Regents will analyze the report at their meeting Thursday.