Hundreds protest proposed tuition hike

Hundreds of students from all over the state protested against proposed budget cuts to UW System schools Wednesday, pleading with Senators to reconsider the budget proposal, which would cap the increase for in-state tuition by 8 percent but would boost out-of-state tuition by 23 percent.

The rally, sponsored by the Associated Students of Madison and the United Council of UW students, drew several hundred protesters, including many freshmen and students from out-of-state.

“I think [this proposal] is ridiculous,” Ada Gonzaloz, a graduate student from Texas said. “I can?t afford it now; I won?t afford it [if it] goes up.”

Once at the Capitol, students distributed glass piggybanks to all 33 Senators, who will vote on the proposal.

“The piggy banks are empty because we don?t have any more money to give,” United Council President Matt Fargen said. “Working nights and weekends, how can we possibly earn enough to pay for books, tuition, rent and clothing? Tuition is a tax on students and we already pay our share. We are the future — we must be the priority.”

ASM member Jenny Chen presented a pig to Sen. Rick Grobschmidt, D-Milwaukee.

“We?re here to ask that you not approve the state budget because I can?t afford out-of-state tuition,” Chen said.

Grobschmidt accepted the gift and said he plans to vote “no” on the proposal.

“This [proposal] is clearly not in the best interest of the students,” he said. “We?ve always prided ourselves on an affordable, quality system. Our commitment is to maintain that.”

Not everyone was impressed by the students? enthusiasm.

“Everyone else has to make sacrifices — why shouldn?t the students?” asked Molly Weissman, who was visiting the Capitol with her daughter.

Republicans have maintained that most state agencies are facing cuts of double the percentage that UW System has pending under the current budget bill.

UW-Madison is one of several UW System schools taking action on budget cuts. According to United Council, UW-Fox Valley students are running a petition, UW-Platteville students are doing a call-in to legislators and UW-River Falls students are actively lobbying.

“While the march was an impressive display of mobilization, students all over the state are organizing against budget cuts,” Fargen. “Students? tactics are varied, creative and tailored to their student body and campus.”

Students also expressed anger at the rally over the date of the Senate Listening Session, set to occur over spring break.

“We?re not trying to badmouth the Senate — we?re trying to say this is our voice; please hear us,” Patricia Kim, event organizer, said.

As they retreated from the Capitol, students warned that they are not finished with their crusade.

“We will be back,” Scott Spector, event organizer, said. “If they pass a 23 percent tuition hike for out-of-state students, we will be back.”