Athletic supplements can have benefits

The use of athletic dietary supplements made national headlines this month when Russian Olympians Larissa Lazutina and Olga Danilova were banned from the Games after they tested positive for darbepoetin, a drug designed to increase red blood cells.

However, officials say not all supplements are detrimental, and there are many that can work effectively for athletes when used properly.

Sports nutrition products fall primarily into three categories — muscle strength and mass, endurance and energy, and recovery.

Muscle-strength drugs are the most popular among the three, and Creatine is the main drug used. Creatine causes muscle cells to “swell” due to an influx of fluid, which increases cell volume and cross-sectional area, both of which may stimulate protein synthesis and lead to increased size and strength.

Jeremy Isensee, UW-Madison sports nutritionist, said Creatine is the most used drug among the athletes he sees. Isensee said although many supplements come and go, Creatine has remained popular over time.

“It does work; the studies prove it,” Isensee said.

Creatine comes in various forms, including powder, gel and gum.

Protein powders are also widely used among college athletes. Manufacturers claim these supplements can increase muscle mass and strength or help to gain or lose weight. The most common sources of protein come from milk, egg and soy.

UW junior Jake Ressin said he takes protein shakes because they are more convenient than eating a complete meal.

“It is easy to get all the nutrients I need without taking the time to make an entire meal,” Ressin said.

He said he has seen significant results with the products he has been using.

The main endurance supplement is Ma huang, a stimulant herb. It contains ephedra, which is used in over-the-counter remedies for colds, flu and asthma. It is known to be an effective weight-loss aid because it stimulates metabolism and suppresses appetite. Ephedra-based supplements may cause no side effects, but have been known to cause insomnia, irritability and elevated heart rates. Some examples of energy products include ginseng, bee pollen and blue-green algae.

Recovery supplements include glucosamine and chondrotin, which are known to be effective in alleviating the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis. They help repair and prevent muscle and joint damage. Sports drinks, such as Gatorade and Powerade, are another popular recovery supplement. They contain different levels of water, electrolytes and carbohydrates, which determine whether they are to be used during a workout or after.

Despite a dramatic increase in the use of athletic supplement drugs in recent years, not everyone is convinced of their usefulness.

Steve Olson, a former wrestler at UW-Eau Claire, said he has tried numerous supplements to no avail.

“I think it?s all a load of crap,” Olson said. “The only way you are going to improve your weightlifting is to work hard and eat a healthy diet.”

Although he agrees with Olson?s sentiments, Isensee said the drugs can be used effectively.

“Of course, it?s not something you need to take to get results, but something that might serve as an aid,” Isensee said.

He said some students might take the supplements with unrealistic expectations.

“People sometimes think there?s going to be a magic show where you think you?re going to get a bodybuilder physique, but you do need to work to get the results,” Isensee said. “If you don?t do anything with it, nothing?s going to happen.”