Society of Women Engineers throws a party

The Society of Women Engineers turns 25 today, and engineers are celebrating all week long with the rest of the Engineering School as part of E-Week.

E-Week is an annual festival of events to benefit both engineers and the community.

SWE contains over 150 members and is part of a national organization. According to UW-Madison’s SWE President Megan Gullicksrud, women constitute about 18 percent of UW engineering majors. A major facet of the organization is working with the community to help younger women who may be interested in engineering. For example, members run a camp for high schoolers and help girl scouts looking to achieve their computer patches.

“Part of the reason that SWE is so great is that it helps women connect with other females who are interested in [being] engineers,” Gullicksrud said.

Junior Amy Hertig, an industrial engineering major, is coordinating the week in coalition with 11 teams within the engineering school.

“It’s a bunch of fun, crazy events all week,” she said. “It’s a good time.”

Weeklong events include a penny war, a food drive and a joke contest, with proceeds going to local charities.

Other events, which take place in the Engineering Hall lobby, include large-scale monopoly and karaoke Wednesday, sidewalk homework and a tug of war Thursday and an engineering beauty pageant Friday. The week will end with an awards banquet at Luther’s Blues Friday night.

Stephanie Koch, a sophomore electrical engineering major, said SWE is an excellent support system for her.

“SWE is a good opportunity to meet other people to study with,” she said. “The number of female engineers is low, so it is a nice organization to have.”

Koch added that although males outnumber females dramatically in her classes, she does not get discouraged.

“It can be intimidating at times, but I’ve earned my keep,” she said. “It doesn’t bother me.”

Hertig agreed.

“Being a female makes me want to prove myself even more,” she said. “We can do just fine or better.”

Hertig added that her male counterparts are always supportive.

“None of the guys I know think women shouldn’t be doing this,” she said.

SWE will also commemorate its birthday by serving cake to students today in Engineering Hall.