Shots fired outside Towers

Madison police responded to reports of two shots fired near the intersection of Langdon and Frances Streets at 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

The incident reportedly began after several mopeds parked outside the Towers Apartment Building, 502 N. Frances St., were tipped over late Thursday night, sparking a confrontation involving several UW football players who live at the Towers.

The confrontation resumed early Saturday morning, when the persons allegedly tampering with the mopeds returned with a gun and were confronted and chased to the nearby Madison Inn, 601 Langdon St., where they fired two gunshots.

Madison police would not confirm the identities of those involved, but sources at the Towers said several UW-Madison football players were involved in the Saturday morning incident.

Police officers recovered evidence of gunshots at the scene, but no weapon was located.

No one was confirmed injured during the incident, MPD Sgt. Peter Schmidt said in a release.

Phone calls to area hospitals were not able to confirm whether anyone was brought in with gunshot wounds around the time of the incident.

Police say they believe the suspects fled by car, but further details are unknown.

“At this point in the investigation, no clear description of either the suspects or of the suspect vehicle is available,” the police reported.