Badgerball impresses in final regular season home game

During its final home game of the regular season, the women’s basketball team accomplished a feat it failed to do in its previous six games–win.

At Senior Night in the Kohl Center, the Badgers routed Northwestern 80-47 in a decisive conference victory.

With Kyle Black, Sarah Jirovec, Tamara Moore and Jessie Stomski playing in their final home game in front of the crowd of 6,492, Wisconsin went on to dominate the Wildcats from the field. Keeping emotions out of the game, Badgerball lit it up from the field, connecting on 53 percent of their shots.

“It was a very fun night for us,” UW head coach Jane Albright said. “Senior Nights can be challenging because for the first 4-5 minutes of the game, we were a little emotional and a little tentative, and then I just think it settled down, and we played the kind of basketball that we really want to play.”

After starting out slowly, Wisconsin got itself back into the game on solid defense. The Badgers held the Wildcats to 30 percent from the field, and caused 21 turnovers.

Leading the way for Badgerball’s attack was its senior class. Stomski led the Badgers with 24 points, seven rebounds and seven assists. Moore added to Stomski’s offense with 19 points of her own, and Black recorded nine points.

Northwestern freshman Sarah Kwasinki led the Wildcats in scoring with 15 points and eight rebounds.

The Badgers will try to double their winning streak when they travel to Texas Tech on Sunday for a non-conference matchup.