UW employees surpass charity goal

University and Dane County employees exceeded their donation-to-charity goal, officials said Friday.

Contributions for the State, University, and University Hospital and Clinics Employees Combined Campaign of Dane County surpassed the $2,675,000 goal, organizers said. Although the drive officially ended Nov. 30, contributions are still coming in at an increase of 18 percent over last year during the same month.

Donations are comprised of both personal contributions and special events.

Organizers attribute the campaign’s increase to more campaign marketing efforts.

The contributions have quieted organizers' fears that the campaign would be out-shadowed by simultaneous appeals from disaster relief funds for Sept. 11 victims.

“That almost certainly affected the results of our campaign, but it didn’t stop us from reaching our target,” said Phyllis Fuller, co-chair of the SECC-Dane Administrative Board. “I think that’s a real tribute to our employees. In the midst of a national emergency, they didn’t forget the everyday needs of charities participating in SECC-Dane.”

The campaign started in October and ran for seven weeks. This year’s goal exceeded last year’s by four percent.

The average SECC-Dane employee contributed $240. University donors averaged higher than both state agency and UWHC donors, at $306.

“We’re very pleased with how this campaign turned out,” said SECC-Dane Board co-chair Greg Zalesak. “We sincerely thank everyone who contributed. We also congratulate the hundreds of employee volunteers whose hard work helped make this campaign a success.”

SECC-Dane contributes to various charity organizations throughout Dane County.