TAs want domestic partner health benefits

UW-Madison Teaching Assistants expressed frustration over the lack of domestic partner health benefits they receive, blaming the State Department of Employment Relations for refusing to negotiate benefits.

The TAA is in the process of negotiating its 2001-2003 contract with the university and the state of Wisconsin. The proposal would enable UW to partially reimburse graduate employees for health-insurance costs for their domestic partners and children.

Sandra Levitsy, chief negotiator of the TAA, said the talks are not going well for either party.

“The DER is being completely obstructive,” Levitsy said.

Although the university’s team agreed to the proposal, Levitsy said the DER has refused discussion on the topic, stating high costs and legislator approval as reasons for denial.

The DER was unavailable for comment.

Levitsy said UW lags behind other universities in providing health benefits, which affects recruitment and retention of TAs.

Levisty said the TAA has been negotiating benefits with the university for 10 years. She said this is the first year officials agreed to support the association’s plan, which is the same as is currently in place for City of Madison employees.

“The university deserves credit for offering to fund domestic partner benefits,” said TAA co-president Maggie Hogan. “The administration recognizes that this is not only an issue of market competitiveness, but one of fairness. All employees in committed relationships should be entitled to health-care benefits for their partners and children. As hardworking employees, they deserve no less than the compensation paid to married employees.”

Despite no word from the DER, union officials show no signs of slowing their crusade.

“This proposal costs the state nothing,” Hogan said. “Yet for the graduate employees who cannot afford to buy health care for their partners, this benefit is priceless. DER’s refusal to allow serious discussion on the issue flies in the face of a long Wisconsin tradition of protecting the health and civil rights of state employees and their families.”

The TAA will continue to meet with the university, and they are urging all UW employees to call or write the DER. Also, Levitsy said, DER officials will be sent large, mocking Valentines soon.

TA Erin Hatton calls the DER’s refusal to talk “absurd.”

“It’s not just a gay and lesbian issue,” she said. “It’s a human rights issue.”