Vegetation at the heart of State Street debate

Taking another step toward the State Street Design Project’s approval by the City Council, Madison’s Downtown Coordinating Committee will discuss controversial aspects of the project tonight, such as replacing trees.

At the committee’s last meeting, major concerns over the design of bus shelters, height and options for lighting, seating, the granite scroll, construction phases and the proposed tree removal were listed.

Receiving the most attention recently is the controversial plan to remove and replace all trees growing outside businesses skirting State.

The design plan, which cost the city of Madison $400,000 to have drawn up, calls for an underground irrigation system to maintain the trees planted along the street. In order for the irrigation system to be implemented, all existing trees must be removed and replaced with younger versions.

The design plan, drafted by Wallace, Roberts and Todd, LLC of Philadelphia, says many of the trees on State Street are already declining in quality, and most would not be salvageable during construction.

The firm’s report said 10 percent of trees are replaced annually.

Sources close to the trees say the report is blatantly false.

Mary Lang Sollinger, Downtown Coordinating Committee chair, has been stringing lights into the branches of the 162 State Street trees for 20 years. She said they are all “looking very healthy” and said the fact that the holiday trims have to be removed from their boughs every April because their foliage gets so full attests to their health.

Eight sites are now missing trees, typically honey locusts, and one tree was recently replaced, said Sollinger.

Many business owners and operators on the street say they are concerned about removing mature trees and how planting small, immature trees would effect day-to-day business affairs.

Eric Roang owns and operates the fruit stand on Library Mall and is a member of the Downtown Coordinating Committee. He said the trees serve a vital purpose to his business.

“If it weren’t for the shade provided by the trees on Library Mall, I wouldn’t be able to do what I do every day,” he said.

While Roang said he has not decided either way on the issue, he understands citizens’ concerns.

“I think there is a legitimate concern,” Roang said. “State Street looks pretty good right now. A radical change would really change the streetscape.”

State Street Brats manager Ross Johnson said some area residents are concerned they will walk down State Street one day to find six blocks of stumps where the trees once stood.

“But that isn’t going to happen,” Johnson said. “In reality, nothing has been set in stone.”

Johnson said since the plan would take eight to 10 years to implement, any tree replacements would be a gradual process. He said the design team proposed planting taller and tougher trees on State Street to increase business visibility and avoid tree damage from salt and other street hazards.

Johnson said he expects the committee to add an addendum to the design proposal stipulating the need for professional tree advice before the plan heads to the City Council for adoption March 5.

Roang said he anticipates any decision or compromise will receive criticism because State Street is an integral part of the city and citizens’ lives.

“Whatever happens will be controversial,” Roang said.

Roang said he encourages all concerned citizens to attend the public meeting tonight and voice their opinions. “I can understand why people would be upset, but at a certain point we have to decide on something,” Roang said. “I want to hear what people have to say.” The public hearing will be held tonight at 5 p.m. in the Spotlight Room of the Civic Center, 211 State St. Community speakers will be allotted three minutes to speak in a forum.