McCallum announces economic plan to retain graduates

Gov. Scott McCallum announced a new state economic plan Monday, introducing new programs to boost workers’ salaries, reduce “brain drain” and increase the quality of life in Wisconsin.

McCallum announced his intentions at the Wisconsin Economic Summit II hosted by the UW System. His goal is to create a partnership between the UW System and Wisconsin businesses to increase retention of Wisconsin graduates, or reduce “brain drain.”

Labor economists have concluded the current shortage in workforce is due to demographics; more graduates are exiting the Wisconsin workforce than entering, initiating the “brain drain” effect.

Within Build Wisconsin, McCallum’s economic initiative, is a specific program to increase retention of graduates, called Wisconsin Jobs for Wisconsin Grads.

This program will utilize a special link from the UW System web page to connect graduates to employers. Wisconsin employers will have the opportunity to post any positions available for college graduates for free. Build Wisconsin will contain many specific programs; Wisconsin Jobs for Wisconsin Grads is merely the first.

“This is the first of many initiatives that will emerge from my Build Wisconsin planning process,” McCallum said. “Up until now, Wisconsin didn’t have a focused or systematic approach to keeping talented and highly trained students in our workforce. Build Wisconsin will address that problem head-on, attempting to make sure the state benefits from a ‘brain gain.'”

Wisconsin Jobs for Wisconsin Grads is scheduled to be implemented early next year and will allow all UW System students and alumni access to job information.

Build Wisconsin will coordinate all players in Wisconsin’s economy: state agencies, educational institutions, business leaders and organized labor.

“If we are to succeed, we need all of these sectors working together with a common purpose, toward a common end, for the common good,” McCallum said.
Evaluating all aspects of Wisconsin’s economy is critical to the success of Build Wisconsin, McCallum said. The areas needing evaluation include worker shortage, reversing the “brain drain,” business outreach, high-tech business development, tax policy and promoting Wisconsin’s image in other areas.
McCallum said he ensured a “relentless courtship” of Wisconsin graduates via Build Wisconsin.