Doyle cautions against fake anthrax treatments

With anthrax popping up across the nation, many Americans are searching for protection. Unfortunately, some consumer industries are exploiting this fear.

Since the first case of anthrax surfaced in Florida, the antibiotic Ciproflaxin has received a lot of publicity. Cipro is the only antibiotic proven to be successful in treating anthrax. Websites have recently developed to sell Cipro and other antibiotics with the potential to treat anthrax.

Attorney General James Doyle warned consumers Thursday that these websites may be making false claims.

“Some Internet advertisers and e-mail solicitations are using the threat of bio-terrorism attacks to sell anything from ‘military-certified’ gas masks to prescriptions to treat anthrax,” Doyle told consumers. “It troubles me that any business would prey on the public’s concerns about anthrax or biological weapons to sell products.”

Online pharmacies have also begun to advertise Cipro. However, it is illegal for pharmacies to dispense Cipro without a prescription or a license.

Doyle, along with the Food and Drug Administration, encouraged consumers to validate the legitimacy of pharmacies by contacting the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (www.nabp.net or 847-698-6227).

No specific websites have been reported as illegitimate, but an investigation is in progress.

“The Office of Consumer Protection has had agents on the websites along with other states and the FDA because there have been reports of these websites because they could be selling ineffective products,” Doyle spokesman Randy Romanski said.

The Federal Trade Commission and other state governments have joined the investigation.

“My office has already participated in a cooperative investigation with the FTC and 28 other states to attempt to identify deceptive sales practices, counterfeit products and unlicensed sales of Cipro or other pharmaceuticals on the Internet,” Doyle said. “The information that has been collected this far will be used as part of an ongoing investigation of questionable websites or sales practices.”

The investigation is still in a preliminary stage, as no formal complaints have been filed.

“If a complaint is filed, more information will be available,” Romanski said. “For now, consumers should exercise caution and consult with a health professional before taking any medications.”

So far, no specific guidelines have been issued for consumers.

“[The warning] was issued as a caution to consumers,” Romanski said. “At this point the information collected is being renewed to see if violations of state law, either in consumer marketing practice or if pharmacies offer drugs without a license. If violations are found, the FTC and the states will proceed with punishment.”

For specific questions about the safety or effectiveness of any pharmaceutical offered for sale online, consumers can contact the FTC at 877-FTC-Help, the FDA at 888-463-6332 or the Centers for Disease Control at 800-311-3425.