Doyle, Burmaster prepare schools for threats

In a letter sent to Wisconsin’s 426 school districts, Attorney General Jim Doyle and State Schools Superintendent Elizabeth Burmaster addressed potential terrorist threats.

The letter suggests ways to keep state schools and students safe in the wake of nationwide security threats.

In the letter, Doyle and Burmaster prompted schools to reevaluate their existing security procedures, asking administrators to be prepared and implement precautionary strategies.

The letter contained suggestions that could be used to secure schools against possible anthrax or bioterrorism threats or attacks.

So far, all anthrax threats in Wisconsin have been false alarms; however, each threat must be taken seriously. Therefore, schools are being asked to have plans in place to address such emergencies.

“Schools in Wisconsin have always been safe places for our children,” Doyle and Burmaster said in the letter. “In the wake of the tragic terrorist attacks on September 11th, we are encouraging all school district administrators to reevaluate the physical security of their school facilities and review their local policies regarding harassment.”

Doyle and Burmaster continue to encourage school administrators to be vigilant against harassment of students who may have the same religious or ethnic backgrounds as the alleged terrorists.

“We have shared commitment to making sure that the children of Wisconsin can attend school in safe environments free from discrimination,” Burmaster said. “School officials working closely with students, parents and community groups can help ensure that race-based harassment and violence have no place in Wisconsin schools.”

Universities around Wisconsin did not receive the suggestion letter, Doyle spokesperson Randy Romanski said. However, universities were taken into consideration.

“The UWs were not included in the mailings, but the Madison police chief was involved in a summit in October,” Romanski said. “She provided a perspective on UW, so UW has been involved.”

Although the anthrax and bioterrorism threat remains low, state officials are hoping to keep communication lines between schools and law enforcement agencies open in case of an emergency.

“We want a good relationship between schools and law enforcement, especially during this time when it is conceivable the threat could come from outside the school.” Romanski said. “This is different from school shootings like Columbine.”

While the scare of anthrax is unlikely, it is a real concern. In a separate statement, Doyle and Burmaster sent schools tips about how to handle anthrax-contaminated material and suspicious packages. However, these documents were not made public.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice recently updated its online Safe Schools Manual on the Department of Justice website. The manual is designed to help school personnel and law enforcement officers understand school security legalities.

“The Safe Schools Manual has been updated to cover new legal developments in areas such as when student’s written or verbal threats may constitute a crime and the legality of searching students’ files or e-mail on a school’s computer network,” Doyle said.