Anti-terrorism measures may affect civil liberties

President Bush signed new anti-terrorism legislation into law, improving information sharing between law enforcement and intelligence authorities and increasing efforts to investigate money-laundering Monday in a measure to stop acts of terrorism before they happen.

“[The anti-terrorism bill] will help law enforcement to identify, to dismantle, to disrupt and to punish terrorists before they strike,” Bush said.

The bill includes efforts to attack money-laundering and to allow information sharing between law enforcement and intelligence authorities. New powers for roving wiretaps in the United States and for the surveillance of computers and electronic mail were also granted.

Public computers in libraries or Internet cafes are at risk of larger scrutiny by the FBI under the new legislation. If a suspected terrorist has used the computer to send an e-mail message, the FBI has a license to view all e-mail messages previously sent on that computer.

However, many critics argue that the new legislation will infringe on Americans' civil liberties and possibly threaten issues of privacy. Worries over tapped cellular phone calls and Internet exploitation have surfaced, many believing their e-mails, phone calls and chat sessions could be intercepted.

Bush maintains the anti-terrorism measures will not threaten privacy in America, and says the new laws will only preserve the safety of Americans. Bush said the legislation would strengthen the fight against terrorism, “while protecting the constitutional rights of all Americans.”

The bill gained overwhelming bipartisan support while in Congress, and Bush attributes the blurring of party lines to the amount of respect given to the guarantees of civil liberties in the Constitution.

One of the provisions in the bill allows immigrants suspected of terrorist activities to be detained for seven days without charges, and in some extreme cases for up to six months. This measure has many critics questioning the fairness of the bill; however, lawmakers stand by the bill and have directed law enforcement agencies around the country to implement the law immediately.

Attorney General John Ashcroft issued a statement directing all 94 United States attorneys’ offices and 56 Federal Bureau of Investigation field offices to start using the new law immediately.

“The new provisions have two overarching principles: airtight surveillance of terrorists and speed in tracking down and intercepting terrorists,” Ashcroft said.

Special Agent Barry Babler of the Milwaukee FBI field office agrees the anti-terrorism bill will help curb future strikes in the United States, and says the bill does not infringe on civil liberties.

“You still need a warrant or a court order to go on a search,” Babler said. “But this provision will effectively lower the threshold to get warrants and court orders.”

Babler also says the anti-terrorism bill does not do away with any current laws; the measures only allow law enforcement to gain information with less obstacles.

“Before you had to stand before a judge and ask for A, B and C to gain a warrant, now you just have to ask for A and B.” Babler said, “but there is no secret stuff that makes the court orders go away.”

Babler says the bill is lengthy and very detailed. It includes over 1000 provisions, ensuring the fairness and correctness of the new laws. The new provisions are additions to current laws, and the public should not fear for their privacy, Babler said.

“This isn’t going to mean we can unleash at random to tap people's phone conversations. That has never been the case, and that hasn't changed.”