State steps up security

In response to the FBI’s warning to law-enforcement agencies across the nation that more terrorist attacks are possible in the coming days and weeks, security has been increased across the country.

Security in all state buildings increased according to the emergency-management plan formed by the state in the years since the Oklahoma City Federal building bombing.

“[The security increase] comes on the heels of a conference call with Homeland Defense Administrator Tom Ridge and the FBI’s recent warnings of more terrorism,” Tim Roby, spokesperson for Gov. Scott McCallum, said.

At 8:30 Tuesday morning the emergency-management plan took effect and increased security by decreasing the number of entrances to buildings and issuing guidelines to state workers.

“There has been heightened security at all state facilities,” Roby said. “At most facilities, especially the Capitol, only one entrance was open to the public. State employees have been urged to carry their identification cards and have been asked to be on alert for unusual items, vehicles or any suspicious activity, and then call the Capitol Police or Madison Police.”

The FBI announced Monday evening they had reason to believe there would be more terrorist attacks in the next week. Although they were not specific as to the type of attacks or where they would be launched, security has been increased as a result.

A similar warning Oct. 11 prompted comparable security increases. The measures are expected to last the duration of the threat.

“[The measures will last] at least through the weekend,” Roby said. “The state has a security plan, and when certain things hit, for example the announcement yesterday that heightened security across the country, the plan kicked in.”

The emergency management plan has four tiers corresponding to the level of the threat.

“We were in level one, [the FBI announcement] moved it into the second level and if we have an attack it will move into the third or fourth, depending on what happens,” Roby said.