STD testing recommended

Many people find it difficult to talk about sexually transmitted infections, much less recognize the need to get tested. But ignoring the risks can prevent proper diagnosis and treatment, leading to serious consequences.

There are more than 25 possible diseases that can be spread through sexual contact. The most common are HIV, chlamydia, herpes, human papollomavirus (HPV), and trichomoniasis.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, each year 15 million people are infected with one or more STDs, many going undetected due to lack of symptoms.

For women, undetected STDs have serious consequences as they suffer more frequent and more serious complications than men.

Among women, 80 percent infected with chlamydia show no symptoms. According to Craig Roberts, a physician’s assistant at University Health Services, chlamydia has serious consequences if left untreated.

“For chlamydia the risk is infertility,” Roberts said. “It is recognized as the leading cause of infertility in the United States.”

Chlamydia and gonorrhea can also develop into another very serious complication–pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID can lead to chronic pelvic pain, infertility and potentially fatal pregnancy complications.

Chlamydia and gonorrhea are bacterial infections that can easily be treated with antibiotics.

HIV, HPV and herpes are all viruses that are treatable but not curable.

HPV, also known as genital warts, has serious consequences. For example, it can increase a woman’s risk of cervical cancer. An annual Pap smear test is recommended to detect abnormal cells.

Unfortunately, condom use does not guarantee protection against HPV and herpes.

“Condom use reduces the risk of herpes and warts, but because they’re spread by skin-to-skin contact people sometimes have viruses in areas that are not covered by condoms,” Roberts said.

Resources are available on campus for testing and screening. UHS has a specialty clinic called the Blue Bus Clinic, which provides screening, diagnosis and treatment for STDs to students free of charge. During a visit, the clinic can arrange treatment if necessary, and provides STD risk reduction counseling.

The clinic also takes steps to ensure the privacy of those seeking services.

Sex Out Loud, a campus organization aimed at bettering the sexual health and environment on campus, provides several programs that educate students about the risk factors associated with certain sexual behaviors and healthy practices.

“We talk about risk factors with [STDs], communication, and healthy sexual choices,” program facilitator Dan Barnegt said. “We really emphasize decision making.”

Though Sex Out Loud works mainly with house fellows and dorm residents, they also provide drop-in programs for others and are available to answer questions.

“If someone’s wondering about getting tested we’ll talk to them about the process you go through for that,” Barnegt said. “We’ll make them feel a little more comfortable so that they’re not going into it blindly.”

According to Barnegt, because one in four UW students will leave this campus with an experience with an STD, it is important to learn how to prevent STDs, how to get tested and cured, and where to get information.
“I usually tell people that if they’ve occasionally had unprotected intercourse with a new partner you should probably think about getting STD screening done,” Roberts said. “Generally doing a thorough screening once a year is the best interval.”