Local law enforcement officer honored

Madison undercover Drug Enforcement Agency officer Henry Wayte received the Enrique Camarena Memorial Award Monday night at the Red Ribbon celebration for successfully combating Madison drug trafficking.

Wayte was the main officer who broke open the Jocko’s Rocket Ship scandal, which involved several Madison firefighters using cocaine at the establishment.

The Red Ribbon celebration is a national ceremony honoring national DEA officer Enrique Camarena, who died in Mexico in 1985 combating drug trafficking.

One year later, Camarena’s community began wearing red ribbons in honor of his work, and the symbol caught on.

“In an effort to do more alcohol and drug awareness, the idea went national,” Center for Prevention and Intervention employee Doug McLain said.

Oct. 22 marks the beginning of Red Ribbon week, and McLain said the Center for Prevention and Intervention hopes to honor one local law enforcement officer each year on this date.

McLain also said he hopes the celebration alerted the Madison community to its drug trafficking problem.

“I want to get the community thinking about alcohol and drug prevention,” he said. “There are a lot of officers putting their lives on the line to prevent drug trafficking.”

Wisconsin Attorney General James Doyle presented Wayte with the award.