22 E. coli cases now suspected

On Wednesday, University Health Services reported a new total of 22 E. coli cases are linked to a pancake tailgate party held at the UW Stock Pavilion before the Oct. 6 Wisconsin vs. Indiana football game.

Originally, UHS reported 12 cases, including one Dane County three-year-old and 11 UW-Madison students. Now, however, reports have increased to 22 cases.
One student, whose name could not be released, is hospitalized in good condition at UW Hospital and Clinics.

“Good is the highest condition level there is,” UW Health and Public Affairs official Lisa Brunette said. “Good means very stable and comfortable.”
The cases are believed to be part of an isolated incident, UHS epidemiologist Craig Roberts said.

“University Health Services and the Wisconsin Division of Public Health are continuing to investigate the source of the E. coli,” Roberts said. “The results of the investigation will help determine guidelines for future use of the Stock Pavilion.”

As a result, a Halloween haunted house scheduled in the Stock Pavilion has been cancelled. The haunted house was originally planned for Oct. 19, 20 and 31.

The Halloween event was a fundraiser for two student clubs, Saddle & Sirloin and the Collegiate Future Farmers of America. The Chancellor’s Office will assist the clubs in making up the funds lost by the cancellation.

Students who attended the Oct. 6 event and experienced symptoms between Oct. 7 and 13 should contact UHS, at 265-5600. Others experiencing symptoms should contact their health care provider or local public health agency.

UHS website: www.uhs.wisc.edu

E.coli information: www.dhfs.state.wi.us/healthtips/BCD/Ecoli.htm