Water utility impersonator entering homes

The Madison Water Utility department is warning area residents of a man disguised as a water utility employee entering homes in Madison and Middleton areas.

The impersonator gains access to homes by identifying himself as a water utility employee, and “checks” the water pipes after entering. The individual then leaves without taking anything and without further incident.

The Madison Police Department and MWU are asking residents to be aware and watchful of this crime.

Although the incident did not involve a Madison Water Utility employee, the water utility department is taking precautions.

“We are doing a thorough review and emphasis on identification and appearance, as well as communication with customers,” said Ray Washa, public works floor person for the water utility department.

Washa said the water utility department is also making all new IDs displayed on the outside of worker’s uniforms available for all employees, especially for the night shift.

“Going to people’s homes is a bargaining issue; when it becomes a security issue, we take a strong look at that,” Washa said.

The MWU requires that all employees carry a photo identification card with them at all times and show proof of their identification if asked. Residents should not allow access to anyone who cannot provide proper identification, and local authorities should be contacted immediately.

The MPD and MWU encourage anyone who feels uncomfortable with asking the person for his/her identification, or who is suspicious of the person, to contact the Madison Water Utility department at 266-4661, or the Madison Police Department at 266-4275.

No arrests have been made, but the MPD is working to identify the individual(s) involved and to take appropriate action.