Studies show promise for quitting smokers

Some smokers turn to patches and gum in the battle against the nicotine demon, but computers may be the new tool to help kick the habit.

The UW Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention is researching computer technology as part of a grant to study relapse among smokers.

“The point of the studies is to prevent relapse,” said Gloria Meyer, communications director of CTRI.

In one study, participants will use home computers to access a website offering information, counseling and support. Participants in this study, set to begin Oct. 8, will receive anti-depressants.

Meyer said these resources are helpful to smokers because the quitting process is different for everyone.

“There’s a lot of variety in what happens to people when they quit,” Meyer said. “[The website] gives an individual profile and all kinds of information about quitting.”

Another study, called “Real-Time Response,” began in June. In the study, participants use hand-held computers, or “electronic diaries,” to answer questions and record their actions and feelings five to eight times a day.

“[The computers] are programmed to prompt real live data from study participants about their emotions,” said CTRI researcher Dr. Daniel Lawrence. “The electronic diaries are an information-gathering tool for us.”

Some of the participants in the study will take anti-depressants, receive counseling, or both.

“We’ll get information on how counseling affects people,” Lawrence said.

Researchers are confident that the studies will help people end their addiction to smoking.

“We’ve had a really good success rate so far with the electronic diaries,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence said only five to seven percent of smokers are able to quit with no intervention, but up to 45 to 50 percent can quit through the study.

Both studies are designed to help all types of smokers, from those who only smoke on the weekends to those who smoke several packs a day.

For all smokers, recognizing triggers that cause relapses is the key factor in quitting smoking, according to Meyer.

Monitoring participants’ behaviors will help researchers discover some of these triggers.

“The more we can learn about preventing relapse, the better off we’ll be,” Meyer said.

No more participants are currently needed for the studies. However, the studies will continue for several years, and researchers predict they will need participants in January.

Students who want to participate can call (608) 265-0510 and be placed on a waiting list.