Baldwin, students share views on terrorism

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., made herself available to students Tuesday afternoon in the Memorial Union’s Rathskeller to discuss last week’s attacks and keep them informed on congressional response.

Just hours after a plane demolished part of the Pentagon, Baldwin huddled in front of a television in her Washington, D.C., apartment just 10 blocks from the Capitol, surrounded by her small staff, who fled her congressional office after the terrorist attack.

Just like she would have been in Madison, Baldwin was glued to the TV and radio for most of the day. The surreal images became eminent when legislators suggested congregating on the steps of the Capitol to present a message to the country.

“They sang ‘God Bless America,'” Baldwin said. “It was very moving.”

Since Congress’ initial move Tuesday afternoon, it passed a resolution authorizing the president to use “necessary and appropriate force” against any group or individual he determines to have committed the acts of terrorism. Congress also released a statement of unity, and has an airline industry loan package as well as several proposed economic stimulus packages in the works.
Baldwin said Congress’ priority right now is to keep Americans’ spirits high, rather than secure economic or political goals.

“The most significant thing we can do is to send the most important message — that we are doing the most patriotic thing we can — hold firm,” she said. “If people are worried about consumer confidence, well, let’s not even get there.”

UW graduate student Matthew Stratton talked with Baldwin. He said the themes of necessary revenge and Western-genre conflict that the United States’ “new war” is conveying to the public concern him. Stratton asked Baldwin to explain Congress’ current policy debate.

“I can understand why the newspaper is printing up flags rather than acknowledging some of the harder issues at hand, but in the halls of power, do you see larger discussions being conducted at any level?” he said.

Without a pause, Baldwin replied.
“I don’t know if this is of any comfort at all to you, but Congress is really a reflection of its constituents, so, in those halls I hear some of the calls [for revenge] that are making you so uncomfortable,” she said.

“I have colleagues who don’t understand our domestic policy, these organizations, or the political structure in the Near East,” Baldwin explained. “But then again, I have others who are experts.”

In this light, Baldwin justified her vote to give Bush more authority to make large-scale military decisions because, she said, he has valuable access to information that even members of Congress do not.

Right now, Bush is working to determine if last week’s attacks were isolated or part of a larger series.

“This is where I give him as much power as he needs to do what is appropriate. To anyone who has ever criticized him, I say that I can’t imagine the agony of deciding on that last plane, whether it should be shot down or not.”