Vetoes force Senate Democrats to seek overrides

In the wake of Gov. Scott McCallum’s 315 budget vetoes last week, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Chvala announced Tuesday that Senate Democrats will attempt to override some of the vetoes.

The State Senate and Assembly will return for a fall floor session Oct. 2, when legislators are expected to attempt budget overrides.

“The governor devastated bipartisan progress made by the legislature on issues like health care and education funding and protecting Wisconsinites’ personal privacy and clean water with vetoes,” Chvala said. “Senate Democrats will seek to undo the damage the governor has done by passing separate legislation or overriding his ill-considered budget vetoes.”

Many items were forced onto the chopping block when the budget vetoes were announced.

Chvala was most concerned with the loss of Community Option Program and Community Integration Program slots, which help seniors and the disabled to stay in their homes. Other concerns include the dismissal of regulations preventing out-of-state companies from taking Wisconsin’s ground water from high-capacity wells, and the elimination of K-12 education investments.

“The people of Wisconsin care deeply about maintaining the quality of our schools and helping our parents, grandparents and the disabled get the care they need to remain in their homes instead of being forced into nursing homes,” Chvala said. “They also care about protecting their personal privacy and keeping Wisconsin’s clean water in Wisconsin.”

Chvala spokesperson Mike Browne said the legislature has two options in this situation. One option is to override the vetoes, which requires a two-thirds majority in each house. The other is separate legislation, which requires a simple majority vote in each house and the governor’s signature.
“Nothing has [yet] been ruled in or out,” Browne said.

Chvala and his staff are not the only elected officials concerned about McCallum’s changes. State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, is also uneasy about the vetoes.

Like Chvala, Black is disturbed about the loss of money in the areas of public education and long-term health care, and the long-term implications for corporations and banks.

“[The governor] unnecessarily and unjustly allowed money for large corporations and banks,” Black said.

Black also said financial aid has failed to keep up with recent UW tuition hikes.

Black said his objective will be one of nonpartisanship when the overrides come up to a vote.

“I hope that the Republicans vote on their consciences, not on partisanship,” Black said.

Maureen McNally, spokesperson for State Sen. Mary Panzer, R-West Bend, said she is not sure if the Assembly can dismiss the overrides.

McNally also said Chvala’s office schedules the override sessions.

No veto overrides were proposed by Senate Republicans.