Diverse Solutions

Maximizing cross culture exposure is an important goal for any modern institution. The lack of cultural diversity on campus is largely a product of an injustice that needs to be corrected. Attempting to correct it through policies that exclude those who operate best under the provided atmosphere is counter-productive. The disregard for culture’s affect on prescribed methods of instruction by our nationalized school system has had a lasting impact on the cultural diversity of our campus.

Culture is a product of interaction, and learning is a very involved, specific form of interaction. People from varying cultures and of varying physiology will process information in different ways. Addressing the diversity of learning styles is a logical means toward enhancing cultural diversity in the long run.

A monoculture in Washington, D.C. controls the national curriculum. Is it really a surprise that when you have the most diverse nation in the world learning under the methods of one group, that proportionally more of the same group end up in the top tiers of the institution? Local control is essential to fostering a love of learning in children of various cultures and learning styles.

The learning system caused a crowding out of those who would have been involved in college had their learning process been catered to, lowering long run diversity. Meanwhile, the economic crunch is leading to a surge in private technical schools that offer targeted skills training. These schools offer services valuable to people of incomes less than 30k, more often those who were disadvantaged by the established learning system. This is another force acting opposite of the stated goal.

The UW needs to address its services as a learning institution. Encourage learning style screening and teach students how to apply study methods accordingly. Conduct a cultural audit of teaching methods and testing practices. Then, apply leverage to the national debate about school system reform, and especially work to reform locally.

To attract a broader population in the short run, the University will either have to redirect resources or expand output. New services could be offered to attract students from more diverse campuses, and course content could be offered in a variety of formats.

Reformation of the broader system to encourage students from a variety of backgrounds to be successful learners is necessary, and this will happen best with a local control of curriculum, methods, and testing. Means that promote diversity for statistic’s sake reflect a shallow ideal. If the University truly cares about enhancing the campus’ level of cultural exposure, it will need to direct real resources toward this goal. Addressing the cause of the issue and taking on the symptoms in a productive manner will require real effort and less rhetoric.