The giants sitting outside the Gov’s race

Barbara Lawton? Apparently, they’ve never heard of her. Although, according to this UW-Wisconsin Policy Research Institute Poll, no one is well known.

Early on in the race to replace Doyle as governor, the main contenders – Barrett, Walker, Barbara Lawton and Mark Neumann – are still unknown by half of Wisconsinites. Among Democrats, more have a favorable view of Barrett (41 percent) than Lawton (30 percent); more Republicans have a favorable view of Walker (45 percent) than Neumann (33 percent).

But one of the things the press release doesn’t mention? There’s at least two political Wisconsinites that people still appreciate…

Tommy Thompson

Very favorable 116 16.57%

Somewhat favorable 268 38.29%

Somewhat unfavorable 112 16.00%

Very unfavorable 105 15.00%

Never heard of person 36 5.14%

Don’t know/Refused 63 9.00%

Russ Feingold

Very favorable 163 23.29%

Somewhat favorable 218 31.14%

Somewhat unfavorable 110 15.71%

Very unfavorable 101 14.43%

Never heard of person 46 6.57%

Don’t know/Refused 62 8.86%

Now, any Madison resident can tell you the ways they absolutely love Russ Feingold. And hell, if he ever wanted to run for Governor, he could probably have it handed to him. Especially if he keeps making strange decisions based on some of his constituency’s needs. But that’d be a step down for him. Feingold seems to be just fine where he is. Now, if he wanted to run for president in 7 or so years, a trip round the governor’s seat would make him the most qualified human being to do so — both because of the experience and the principled resolve.

But Thompson. Now that’s something. The man was governor for most of my natural life and seems to enjoy at least some kind of hallowed status today. (although his presidential run probably didn’t help…what kind of governor would make a rash decision because he wants to go to the bathroom?) Now, the man’s nearly 15 years would make for plenty of fodder for opponents (welfare to work, anyone?), but if he still has that sort of rating in polls, what does this say about the people of Wisconsin? (They still appreciate BadgerCare?) What are they really looking for? Are they looking for the strong(er) Wisconsin economy that fizzled under Doyle’s term? Or are they just hoping to turn back to a time before Doyle and the abysmal Gov. McCallum?

The fact is: If Thompson does decide to enter the race, it may take a Feingold to bring him down.

And admit it, wouldn’t that be far more interesting than seeing an Lt. Gov. try and outdo a college dropout?