Obama wins, on to the assembly

Obama has won the presidency. Ohio has been called and he can lose every other single swing state and he will still win. So…now attention turns to Congressional races, which NBC has projected the Democrats holding a 260-170 majority in the House, with Senate races still coming in. Conservative estimates put the Democrats at 57 seats in the Senate, with hopes of 59-60. As for us in Wisconsin, I cannot yet predict what’s happening in the Democrats attempts to gain control of the state Assembly, which currently is in GOP control. The conventional wisdom is that [Obama’s win in Wisconsin will carry some coattails in state election races. ](http://www.newrichmond-news.com/articles/index.cfm?id=31612&section=Wisconsin%20News&property_id=9) However, I can’t find a consistent source of news on the state races. But keep in mind what this means. The state finds itself at a $3 billion budget deficit, and if the power structure stays the same, there will likely be some nasty budget battles between the Democrats and Republicans on where to slash the budget. The Democrats seem intent on health care, but maybe the federal government will step in under a Democratic president and big Democratic majorities in Congress.